Documentation Update?

Options
vreference
edited August 2012 in DotNet
Seems like most of the documentation needs to be updated to reflect some changes. E.g., PeerStatusCallback.

Just sayin.

While I'm here: Is Service() still used?
I don't see it in this current Unity demo code and I'm trying to get my 8 month old project updated.

Comments

• dreamora
    Options
    Service has always been used and still is. without service, no communication takes place.

its just used outside of the unity exposed code within the assembly as unity does not like to work with multiple threads on the script layer directly so you need to do extra work.
  • Rein
    Options
    vreference brings up a good point though. My only solid complaint with Photon is the terrible lack of documentation. Yes they have the help files, but those don't really tell you that much and you can only get so far by "messing with things and figuring it out." Something more along the lines of javadocs or the adobe livedocs would be absolutely amazing and really help make Photon more accessible. I think one of the main reasons people get turned away from Photon is because of the lack of useful documentation, which is a shame because it really is awesome.
  • Tobias
    Options
    vreference: Yes, Service() is still available but it's up to you if you use it.
    Cause: It wraps SendOutgoingCommands and DispatchIncomingCommands (or similarly named on non-C# platforms) and using these two directly gives you more control over the network usage than just calling Service().
    I'll take another look at PeerStatusCallback.

Rein: We tend to agree and plan to rework the documentation soon. Photon 3 is almost final and then we should have some time.

As you mentioned JavaDoc: We do have client side reference documentation. The DotNet, Unity and Windows Phone SDKs have them in form of a "Photon-DotNet-Client-Documentation_v3-0-*.pdf" in the root of the zip files. Then, we also have the .xml files for the libraries, which provide the documentation in Visual Studio (and compatible editors) as popup. I hope these are helpful, despite being incomplete.
    I can't say enough about the server-side documentation though.
  • vreference
    Options
    I think the client documentation is pretty good. It still feels like most everything server related is hidden in the compiled name spaces. At this point I really need to transition away from the lite server and start customizing the MMO application but I can't see what the base classes really do beyond what the metadata reveals (or at least I feel like I can't) which makes it harder.

Is there somewhere I can actually see the base classes and I'm just missing it? I'm using a reference node setup so I'm going to have to customize the actor/item/interest-area relationship quite a bit and it's kind of bumming me out.
  • Tobias
    Options
    The next server SDK will include the source of the MMO classes, so that will become much easier. We're not sure if we can put much work into documenting them but at least they will become visible.
  • fxdfds
    Options
    I think the client documentation is pretty good. It still feels like most everything server related is hidden in the compiled name spaces. At this point I really need to transition away from the lite server and start customizing the MMO application but I can't see what the base classes really do beyond what the metadata reveals (or at least I feel like I can't) which makes it harder.

Sacs À Main Longchamps
  • Tobias
    Options
    The MMO classes are now available in source (and no longer in the dll). Get the latest Photon Server SDK to get them (and many updates and fixes, too).
    I fear we won't extensively document the MMO part in the near future. I would say, this leaves some room for a community or open source project. ;)