Noob question: basic Photon server

Options
PaulT
edited May 2012 in Photon Server
I am just getting Photon 3.x up and running after getting it up and running with Photon 6.x back in January.

I am trying to get a dummy server running that will let me connect, just as I had with Photon 6.x.

I downloaded the server and installed my license file.

In the old Photon 6.x, I used to be able to right-click and do "Start as application" / "Start Service." Now, "Start as application is greyed out, and when I try "Start service," it waits for 15 seconds, then says "Photon stopped" when I mouse over it, and I can't seem to find any logging info that would tell me why.

What do I need to do to diagnose this?

Comments

• dreamora
    Options
    When start as application is grayed out and service fails the applications related to the instance you try to start are broken at least partially.
    Trying to move an application built against another version of the SDK into a new version causes that (assembly version failure which causes a whole app domain to fail).

The logs should help here, especially those in the logs within the bin and bin 64 folder. The regular logs folder next to those are for the application logs which likely will not help a lot here as your app never gets started.

As for license: did you ensure that it is a photon 3 license? old licenses will not work with the new photon and would cause the shut down too due to an invalid license.
  • PaulT
    Options
    dreamora wrote:
    When start as application is grayed out and service fails the applications related to the instance you try to start are broken at least partially.
    Trying to move an application built against another version of the SDK into a new version causes that (assembly version failure which causes a whole app domain to fail).

The logs should help here, especially those in the logs within the bin and bin 64 folder. The regular logs folder next to those are for the application logs which likely will not help a lot here as your app never gets started.

As for license: did you ensure that it is a photon 3 license? old licenses will not work with the new photon and would cause the shut down too due to an invalid license.

Hi, Dreamora -- I appreciate your input but I think you are misunderstanding what I am doing. I am simply trying to run the server executable that comes in the deploy/bin_Win64 folder; I am not trying to build anything on the server side. There is no "assembly version failure" that I can tell. There are no logs to look in, either, from what I can tell. Also, yes, it is a Photon 3 license; I just downloaded it this morning.
  • dreamora
    Options
    Okey, just wanted to verify / mention those two things.

If its just plain stock then it should normally offer both things.

Do you potentially still ahve the old photon on the machine with its service installed? I'm not sure if the old photon 2.x can impact the new one but for the new one its the way that there is 1 service for Instance1 basically, independent of which version of photon is used, so if an older version is installed already it refuses to work with the new one (and the start as application would be grayed out too as its grayed out when the service is installed) or gets funny clashes at worst.

if thats the case you might need to check the log of the old photon version to see if it ends over there.
  • PaulT
    Options
    Hi Dreamora -- OK, I tried that and removed the old server from my PC, but I get no useful logging info at all; I just get the following in my log file:

2012-05-21 12:46:34,571 [ 1] DEBUG PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - PhotonDomainManager created
    2012-05-21 12:47:25,296 [ 1] DEBUG PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - PhotonDomainManager created
    2012-05-21 12:48:03,331 [ 1] DEBUG PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - PhotonDomainManager created
    2012-05-21 20:23:03,866 [ 1] DEBUG PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - PhotonDomainManager created

I am wondering if maybe one of the Photon devs can fill me in on what I'm missing? I recall that with Photon 6.x it used to be very easy to start up a plain vanilla server for testing.
  • Tobias
    Options
    It still should be very easy to run the server from the SDK. The problems you encounter are most likely due to some interaction with an older version.
    We do not use a proper installer, so setup might get mixed up in terms of services being run and installed.

Use PhotonControl to remove the Photon service, dashboard and perfmon counters. In best case, you do that with the old version's PhotonControl but the new one should be fine, too.
    You could check services now to make sure they are gone (just to verify). Look out for "Photon Socket Server". It should not be listed.

Then, use PhotonControl to start the server just as you did for Photon v2.
    http://doc.exitgames.com/v3/quickstart/ ... iveminutes

There is a "open logs" menu entry in the Photon Control. Use this to see the logs.
    If this fails, please post the logs as file attachment (not inline, not in parts).
  • PaulT
    Options
    Thanks Tobias -- that did it. I just needed to do "Remove Service", and then I had to run the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version I'd been trying to run.