Lite, Loadbalancing, MMO

Options
Nunterfal
edited May 2012 in DotNet
Hi all =) I'm new in network programming and Photon, and I have several questions :)

1) Can I get more detailed description of Lite, Loadbalancing, MMO applications and their comparison?

2) Are they abstract solutions or specific types of photon network usage?

3) Wich application more appropriate for turn-based board game?

I'm using Unity3D.

Sorry for my english =)

Comments

• dreamora
    Options
    1) Lite: Room environment targeted at small distinct groupings of users (-> room)
    MMO: uses Interest Areas to manage an open environment
    LoadBalancing: Just like Lite but with a proxy in front that forwards the user to the least loaded GameServer (an extended Lite application) to balance out the usage on the server

2) They are example applications. You can but must not use them if you don't want to.

3) Lite or LoadBalance, depends a bit on the number of users. In both cases potentially with custom work for database bindings and hence hosting it yourself.
    Its important though to mention that you would commonly use different SDKs to work with them as a Unity user. PUN (photon unity network from the asset store) for LoadBalancing or the Unity Client SDK for Lite. Thats no must to use PUN but it can save time
  • Tobias
    Options
    1: You can find some more info here: http://doc.exitgames.com/v3/photonserve ... plications
    2: The applications are basic but solve the problems common to most games (respective to their target game type). The Photon Cloud, e.g. is running the Loadbalancing code without further modification and a lot of games can be done with that fixed feature set.
    3: Lite is included in LoadBalancing and it's extended. You should start with that to get room listings, properties and more instantly. Those are also supported client side by the LoadBalancing API.

I just released a new client SDK v3.0.1.6. Get the update.