Multiple projects with same appID and spectator count

Options
Hi!

I have a few questions about appID's and PUN2 functionality.

I'm making a launcher based application with Unity. The launcher lists and launches several different scenarios which are their own unity projects/builds. In the scenarios there is (atleast for now) only one actual player and the others are spectators. That functionality may or may not extend to co-op scenarios at some point.

1. Am I allowed to use the same appID throughout the whole system, or are the separate projects/scenarios required to have their own appID each?
2. If the actual player doesn't need to know anything about the existence of the observers, how many observers could there be per room? Only the spectators need to see what the player is doing.
3. Would such an spectator system be possible/easy to implement for a large crowd (like hundreds of spectators?) or should i consider some sort of video streaming in that case?

BR,
Rauli

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    You can use the same appid in multiple clients if you need that. No problem.
    Make sure you use the same GameVersion string and PUN version in each project. Those affect matchmaking (as you get different virtual apps).

How many players can join under those conditions still depends on your app and activity.
    Don't set a Player.Nickname, or each user's join will include some string.

The more scaleable service architecture for broadcasting (to give your usecase a simple name) would be Photon Chat. It sounds as if that could be a better fit.

Get in touch via mail and let us know a bit about your project and studio, please: developer@photonengine.com.
  • rauli
    Options
    Thank you for the response! It cleared up some uncertainty as it could grow quite difficult to manage all the appID's for each scenario.

Using photon chat for broadcasting sounds interesting, I'll check it out and be in touch for more details.

BR,
    Rauli