Deployment Options??

Options
skinhead2727
edited January 2013 in Photon Server
Hi Guys, I'd just like to ask for Photon's deployment options? I heard that Photon Cloud doesn't allow you to have your own business logic in it. So i'm figuring out what are the feasible options for our server deployment. We are currently developing our server setup with Photon + Nhibernate for our game (more like 'Words with Friends', not a realtime one). I know you guys are experienced on this topic. I appreciate if you'll help me out on this. Thanks!!!

Comments

• dreamora
    Options
    You would host your own photon server likely for such a purpose and host it on a usable cloud (NOT amazon EC2!)
  • Thanks a lot dreamora!
    Is there any cloud hosting service provider that you can suggest?
  • dreamora
    Options
    Depending on the needs in detail, Rackspace is pretty good.
  • Hi Dreamora! :D

Thanks for your replies! I admire you for your contributions so far in the forum, saw you a lot of times in the unity forums also.

Well i've narrowed my choices to two, it's rackspace and amazon EC2. One main reason is to reduce latency because i'm planning to use Xeround Cloud Database and it is currently deployed on Rackspace and Amazon datacenters.

I just wanted to ask why are you suggesting not to use Amazon EC2.

Cheers,
    Francis
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    Amazon EC2 just isn't exactly very performant for usage with Photon.
  • dreamora
    Options
    Thats the thing that worries me far less than absolutely overbooked connections. You get latencies that within seconds jump from 80ms to 5000ms and back and stuff like that at least here on the european EC2 (can't comment on the US one but the EU one is for games likely more important unless you release to north america only as we have better asia interconnects) which makes it absolutely useless for anything but 'RESTful api' style games
  • mindlube
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I'm really happy with Softlayer [edit: no so much any more, see below]
    http://www.softlayer.com/cloudlayer/computing/
    I'm seeing Xeon E31270 3.4 Ghz, which is nice because their marketing just says "Guaranteed 2.0GHz (or faster) cores"
  • Hallo!!

We've chosen Rackspace for our multiplayer game.

it's basically Rackspace + Xeround Cloud Database in UK (London) Datacenter.

Latency is quite good so far. already configured my counters so that i could stress test.

Thanks Dreamora. :D Thanks Guys! :D
  • Ugh, I revoke my softlayer.com recommendation. I've switched to CloudSigma. Much better service & platform! :geek:
    edit: as bonus, CloudSigma has SSD persistent drives available.
  • dreamora
    Options
    SSd does not matter for photon as photon has no data lookup so the readtime from disk is irrelevant.

Unless you do an amount of logging at which the code gets a log festival I doubt you would ever see a difference with photon between a 5400RPM and a SATA3 SSD
  • Thats kind of a good point, but I'm hosting a database on the same server :D
    SSDs are the future- more reliable, no "spin up" lag time.
  • dreamora
    Options
    that on the other hand is a bad idea unless you have dicated cpu assignements / distinct VMs cause then you can get fights for cpu and cpu unlike RAM and HDD IS relevant for realtime network message processing.
  • dreamora wrote:
    that on the other hand is a bad idea unless you have dicated cpu assignements / distinct VMs cause then you can get fights for cpu and cpu unlike RAM and HDD IS relevant for realtime network message processing.
    As usual, dreamora telling me I'm doing it all wrong. seems most threads end this way :lol:
    Obviously if I'm putting photon and database on the same machine, one should give it plenty of RAM and CPU cores.
  • dreamora
    Options
    Depends on your frequency and amount of request one should say and the request themself.

If they are light, with little joins or complex commands, you should normally go through fine. It will naturally not scale anywhere close to where photon on its own would, but it will also not 'sink the ship' :)

So definitely not 'all wrong' :) I would start that way too but split them pretty fast once the user numbers show a trend that it will be maxing out the hardware, cause with both on their own environment they scale better.
    Thats the reason why I put the 'distinct VMs' in the top. with VMs its a triviality to split and scale :)
  • hi,

I'm new to the forums and I noticed that everyone's experience with Amazon EC2 has not been good. I even see the Photon Client Engineer suggesting Amazon EC2 is not performant for Photon.

Just curious as to how everyone has been testing their Photon servers to come to their conclusions. Some questions that would help quantify the issues:
    1) What region, instance type, OS were you using?
    2) How many connections were you testing?
    3) What type of test were you doing (load test, live game test, something else, etc..)?
    4) What were the results?