Starting Photon on remote machine

Options
Tobias J
edited April 2012 in Photon Server
Hello,

So, as you may have gleamed from the topic, I'm fairly new to Photon. I've been running it locally while developing my little game, but I'm nearing a point where multiplayer functionality is at the top of the list.

I want to use an authorative server and cannot run it locally.

I have this web hosting deal running where I can run ISS applications, and figured I'd try to set Photon up there. Problem is that it's a fairly regular deal, so there's no handy little tray icon to install the service and start it.

My question then is, how can I install as service and start it from home?

Thanks for your time.
-Tobias

Comments

• dreamora
    Options
    Photon is no ISS application I fear, its a native unmanaged windows application and you need admin access to run it on such a machine, run the control center and start up the instance as service from there running on top of the unmanaged photonsocketserver
  • oh. Well, shucks :-(

Thanks dreamora, guess I'll go find cheap 'hosting' or whatever it's then called. Can you recommend any?
  • dreamora
    Options
    What you would need to look for is a dedicated server or a virtual dedicated server. In either case it has to run Windows.

There are different options here depending on the scale you want to test it on and frequency of usage.

Rarely online, only when you develop:
    You should consider using the Rackspace cloud server offering (do NOT go for amazon ec2, no matter what. their offering is really horrible and any halfway payable instance is performing that badly and especially inconsistently that you will hunt phantoms pretty often). That allows you to keep it offline most of the time and thus pay very little in the end for its usage.

24/7 online yet no heavy testing and usage
    Then the VPSLand virtual dedicated offerings could potentially be enough for you and would still be fairly cheap.

If you are willing to get your nerves tested yet want a full dedicated machine with a bit more of power etc, then you could go with various options like http://www.server4you.com. I've my JIRA on one of their cheapest vdedicated offerings and it does reasonably well given the totally resource wasting nature of JIRA and tomcat which would require much more ram
  • Many thanks Dreamora, that was very useful info to me. :D

Rackspace and VPSLand seems kinda pricey, especially considering that it's practically free with amazon's ec2 - which I have been checking out these past few hours. The free option is naturally quite low on resources, but then again - it's free!

Server4you also is very appealing, with many more resources available and first 6 months free.

Despite your sound advice (I'm sure), I think I'll stay with ec2 for now, as I'm already invested in it now. I can always move to server4you if things get iffy (or in a year when the free option expires).

Thanks again mate. Much appreciated :!: