Could a Self-Hosted Photon Server reach other countries?

Options
Hello. I was just wondering, if I were to host my own PUN Server, then would it reach other countries, like the cloud?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @DarkJoltGames,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

If you self-host a Photon Server, the questions of whether remote clients will be able to reach it or whether that server will be able to reach other remote servers depend on where you host the server and the network and firewall configurations. This is not related to Photon Server itself.

If you are asking if self-hosting Photon Server allows you to still use Photon Cloud, i.e. combine Photon Cloud regions and your self-hosted Photon Server then the answer is;

- short answer: NO. Use Enterprise Cloud if you need extra regions or private servers.
    - long answer: YES. But same as Photon Cloud regions, each region is separate and clients connected to different regions cannot play with each other. Besides, Photon Cloud uses a nameserver that is not available (nor supported) yet in the latest public release of the server SDK. Even if it were, you will have to explicitly decide from the client to which servers to connect to, your self-hosted or Photon Cloud.
  • DarkJoltGames
    Options
    Thanks!