Can't connect anymore after update (also other strange behaviours)

Options
After updating PUN 2 Free (we do have a paid subscription, app is called Moovd) my application is suddenly unable to connect, it can absolutely not be my code because this version has been uploaded to production after testing the connection.

Room does not exist
It was try to see why my streaming functionality wasn't working anymore, which is why I decided to update the PUN 2 Free asset. But now I cannot connect to my room anymore all of a sudden, it has a name of just three numbers in order to emulate filling in a pin-code on another device (OculusGo).

Strange behaviours
Based on photon signals between two devices I execute certain actions, however I experience sort of "random" things happening when I do not expect it and I wonder if all RPC functions that I send are really being sent in the correct order to the clients.

What would be an easy way to test or verify this behaviour seeing as vritually everything in my app is now async, photon aswell as coroutines and I cannot place breakpoints as photon will disconnect, and my app requires a connection at all times.

in general behavior also seems different when using multiple devices, maybe this is to be expected.
For example from PC to PC seems to work while streaming images (Texture2D) but it fails from android to PC or vice versa, it also fails from android to android/ios (from OculusGo to Android/IOS Phone).
Maybe different behaviour is to be expected but this has been very confusing to me lately while testing and just seems to introduce itself randomly without throwing warnings/exceptions or other information. Or maybe I don't know where to look for these things. (Photon logs?)

On player leave/join
Also, I made it so that the callback when a player leaves/joins adds an item to a list, but this does not always seem to behave correctly even though I have a feeling I already "fixed" this 4 times now and still I am randomly surprised by the player who is supposed to be connected not showing up in this list. But maybe I misunderstand how you sync PhotonNetwork.CurrentRoom.Players? Maybe I am doing it too late/early?

Either way I cannot connect to my room anymore, so most things I just said are currently untestable for me right now.

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hi @frecreate,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Try to be concise and to the point.
    We provide hints on how to get better and faster support here.

Also, do not post multiple questions or report multiple issues in the same discussion.
    Another thing to avoid is to create a duplicate discussion about something already answered.
    Make use of the forum search feature.

it can absolutely not be my code
    We could argue and say the same about PUN. :)

In any case, I will try to guess and answer:

After updating PUN 2 Free [...] my application is suddenly unable to connect
    Room does not exist
    But now I cannot connect to my room anymore
    the player who is supposed to be connected not showing up in this list
    PUN clients with different PUN versions cannot see each other. Read the "Matchmaking Checklist" carefully. In general, only clients connected to the same region (servers) and to the same virtual application (AppId, AppVersion=GameVersion+PUN Version) can see each other.

I wonder if all RPC functions that I send are really being sent
    For RPCs list, PUN assigns and uses IDs more efficient that strings for method names. This RPCs IDs list can be different from one build to another. Read more here.

I cannot place breakpoints as photon will disconnect
    If you must, read this guide. You can use self-hosted Photon Server during development phase.

It was try to see why my streaming functionality wasn't working anymore
    Strange behaviours
    in general behavior also seems different when using multiple devices, maybe this is to be expected.
    For example from PC to PC seems to work while streaming images (Texture2D) but it fails from android to PC or vice versa, it also fails from android to android/ios (from OculusGo to Android/IOS Phone).
    This is not related to Photon I think.
  • frecreate
    Options
    JohnTube said:

it can absolutely not be my code
    We could argue and say the same about PUN. :)

Well alright I just mean that I must be some kind of version incompatibility like you said, I have to connect the devices everyday to test something so it would be strange if something suddenly broke over there.

I will try to check the versions and the other things that you mentioned, i also cleared and refreshed the RPC list and will try to build again.
    JohnTube said:

I wonder if all RPC functions that I send are really being sent
    For RPCs list, PUN assigns and uses IDs more efficient that strings for method names. This RPCs IDs list can be different from one build to another.
    I said I wonder if they are sent in the exact order that I have specified or that they are somehow sent not chronologically. From what I understood they would be sent in order and not buffered right? Unless I would use RPCbuffered? Because for most of my RPC's I would like them NOT to be buffered.
    JohnTube said:

You can use self-hosted Photon Server during development phase.

And it won't disconnect you mean? Or you mean that I could server logs? It doesn't really help when trying to debug some async functionality that requires constant connectivity.
  • frecreate
    Options
    Ok so this is quite strange, our Unity project is a single project that I use as a sort of double-build for both an android phone and oculus device (ios buid is seperate) so they are garuanteed to have the same RPC functions and photon versions.

Yet it still says my room does not exist, I have been working on this app for a few weeks and this only happend after I updated/reimported the Pun 2 Free asset.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @frecreate,

From what I understood they would be sent in order and not buffered right?
    All RPCs are RaiseEvent calls under the hood. Events are sent in order no matter if they are buffered (cached) or not.
    And it won't disconnect you mean? Or you mean that I could server logs?
    It won't disconnect if you follow the guide in that link.

Ok so this is quite strange
    Yet it still says my room does not exist, I have been working on this app for a few weeks and this only happend after I updated/reimported the Pun 2 Free asset.
    Double check the region.
  • frecreate
    Options
    Ok I reverted the commit the with the photon update and cleared and refreshed the RPC calls and now it works again, I'm not sure what changed but I don't see the photonserversettings being changed by it.