AuthenticationValues, UserID, Photon Standalone Server

Options
I've seen some posts about setting the UserID in AuthValues when using the standalone server. I understand, I think, that each user connecting to the server needs a unique user ID. A couple of questions:

1. I'm not asking for user credentials in my application, users simply connect. I don't want to manage users at this point, so what is the best method for creating a user ID?

2. I see references to AuthValues in at least three clients: LoadBalancingPeer, LoadBalancingClient and PhotonNetwork. I know I need to set the UserID attribute before connecting to my serverf, but in which of these classes do I set this value. They all call a Connect() method as far as I can see, so where should it be set. I've searched the forums, but while I see some code snippets, each different, nowhere have I seen where to actually set the value so that it is available for any class calling Connect().

Any help? Much appreciated.

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hi @ar3k_g,

Sorry for the delay on this one.
    I was on vacation.

1. generate a GUID client side.
    2. I assume you use PUN. Use PhotonNetwork.AuthValues.
    if (PhotonNetwork.AuthValues == null) 
    {
        PhotonNetwork.AuthValues = new AuthenticationValues(System.Guid.NewGuid().ToString());
    }
    else 
    {
        PhotonNetwork.AuthValues.UserId = System.Guid.NewGuid().ToString();
    }
    // connect
  • ar3k_g
    Options
    Ah, thank you. This is strictly for Photon Voice as that is what appears to be throwing the errors when more than one person enters multiplayer mode. My assumption is that this will fix that problem. I should have said this in the beginning, but I didn't, so shame on me.

Also, Guid insists that I use UnityEditor. I have no other way to call GUID. Does this sound right? It would be helpful to show everything in context, including the using directives. Just a thought. It would certainly helkp me now.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @ar3k_g,

This is strictly for Photon Voice
    What Photon Voice are you using? we have added this workaround to Photon Voice so you won't have to do it when connecting to self-hosted Photon Server?
    Also, Guid insists that I use UnityEditor. I have no other way to call GUID. Does this sound right?
    It should be System.Guid. I have updated the code above.
  • ar3k_g
    Options
    That's interesting. We are using version v2.3. Would this workaround mean that we do not need to set a GUID at all? I said earlier that this is strictly for Photon Voice, but I must also consider PUN 2 Networking as well. Is a unique ID required there?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Would this workaround mean that we do not need to set a GUID at all?
    The workaround was added in 2.2:
    FIXED: self-hosted Photon Server support (Photon Voice client UserId if no set, will use the same UserId as PUN if available or a new GUID)
    if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(this.Client.UserId))
                    {
                        this.Client.UserId = Guid.NewGuid().ToString();
                        #if PHOTON_UNITY_NETWORKING
                        if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(Pun.PhotonNetwork.NetworkingClient.UserId))
                        {
                            this.Client.UserId = Pun.PhotonNetwork.NetworkingClient.UserId;
                        }
                        #endif
                    }
    Is a unique ID required there?
    Yes. So you probably need to use the code in PUN2 and the same UserID will be used in Voice per user.
  • ar3k_g
    Options
    Thank you for the code, but as I am very new to this, I will probably always need some context. Such as, where does this code go? Class and method.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @ar3k_g,

I have checked and double checked.
    Update to latest Photon Voice and you do not have to change anything in the code.
    The workaround is implemented in both Photon Voice (PhotonVoiceNetwork) and PUN (PhotonNetwork).
  • ar3k_g
    Options
    I'm on 2.3, upgrading isn't an option at the moment. Ok, let me ask you a stupid question here: I am connecting the client (game client) to the standalone using ConnectUsingSettings, where in the settings I have specified, say, 10.0.0.1 via UDP on port 5055. Now, the stupid part: where do I set the connections for the voice settings?

Also, getting this when attempting to connect to voice room:

InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
    Photon.Voice.VoiceClient.onVoiceEvent (System.Object content0, System.Int32 channelId, System.Int32 playerId, System.Int32 localPlayerId) (at Assets/DownloadedAssets/PhotonVoice/Photon/PhotonVoice/PhotonVoiceApi/Core/VoiceClient.cs:384)
    Photon.Voice.LoadBalancingFrontend.onEventActionVoiceClient (ExitGames.Client.Photon.EventData ev) (at Assets/DownloadedAssets/PhotonVoice/Photon/PhotonVoice/PhotonVoiceApi/LoadBalancingFrontend.cs:287)
    Photon.Realtime.LoadBalancingClient.OnEvent (ExitGames.Client.Photon.EventData photonEvent) (at Assets/DownloadedAssets/Photon/PhotonRealtime/Code/LoadBalancingClient.cs:2581)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PeerBase.DeserializeMessageAndCallback (ExitGames.Client.Photon.StreamBuffer stream) (at C:/Dev/photon-sdk-dotnet/PhotonDotnet/PeerBase.cs:633)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer.DispatchIncomingCommands () (at C:/Dev/photon-sdk-dotnet/PhotonDotnet/EnetPeer.cs:545)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer.DispatchIncomingCommands () (at C:/Dev/photon-sdk-dotnet/PhotonDotnet/PhotonPeer.cs:1473)
    Photon.Voice.Unity.VoiceConnection.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/DownloadedAssets/PhotonVoice/Photon/PhotonVoice/Code/VoiceConnection.cs:349)
  • ar3k_g
    Options
    Ok, I found the appropriate voice and recorder options. I had them set to follow PUN. Given that I am running against my own photon server, I unchecked this option and entered an IP address of my server, and a port. The protocol is UDP. I'm now having problems in that I cannot seem to create a Photon Voice Room. I get a million errors, stack trace below. Question: in my current photonserver.config file, I have two UDP listeners setup: master and game, which master on 5055 and game on 5056. My game connects to 5056, while voice connects to 5055. Does this sound right?

-----

Stack trace:

InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
    Photon.Pun.PhotonNetwork.OnEvent (ExitGames.Client.Photon.EventData photonEvent) (at Assets/DownloadedAssets/Photon/PhotonUnityNetworking/Code/PhotonNetworkPart.cs:2033)
    Photon.Realtime.LoadBalancingClient.OnEvent (ExitGames.Client.Photon.EventData photonEvent) (at Assets/DownloadedAssets/Photon/PhotonRealtime/Code/LoadBalancingClient.cs:2581)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PeerBase.DeserializeMessageAndCallback (ExitGames.Client.Photon.StreamBuffer stream) (at C:/Dev/photon-sdk-dotnet/PhotonDotnet/PeerBase.cs:633)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer.DispatchIncomingCommands () (at C:/Dev/photon-sdk-dotnet/PhotonDotnet/EnetPeer.cs:545)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer.DispatchIncomingCommands () (at C:/Dev/photon-sdk-dotnet/PhotonDotnet/PhotonPeer.cs:1473)
    Photon.Pun.PhotonHandler.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/DownloadedAssets/Photon/PhotonUnityNetworking/Code/PhotonHandler.cs:130)
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @ar3k_g,

I have replied here.