PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings of PUN2 that doesn't require the GameVersion is hard to use.

Options
We updated our project from PUN Classic to PUN 2 in reference to the official migration guide. After update, I noticed that we can connect to the same room no matter what network version we set.

I found that ConnectUsingSettings() overwrites PhotonNetwork.GameVersion with PhotonServerSettings.AppSettings.AppVersion, Internally.

We frequently change GameVersion during development. We set separate GameVersions for each git branch to prevent developers of each feature from being connected to the same room.

But AppID is the important value. We don't want to change PhotonServerSettings easily because frequent diffs in git can miss important changes.

Why is ConnectUsingSettings (string gameVersion) removed? Are there plans to be reimplemented?

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    I'm sorry you are running into issues due to the removed API. We assumed it's more convenient, if the Game Version is part of the connection settings too. Without that, it's always been the only parameter you had to set via code.

So far, we did not plan to reimplement it. This is the first use case, where it's missing really.
    You could work around the situation by changing the PhotonServerSettings while you connect. Re-set it to some default value, when connect is done or when the client goes offline?

Another option is to modify PUN slightly to add an optional parameter to ConnectUsingSettings(string gameVersion = null). If non-null, use the provided game version over the one from the settings.

I actually don't know if you could also swap the PhotonServerSettings file/instance at runtime, before connect.