Photon Noob here - Trying to get more then just state synching out of PUN - is it possible?

Options
Ok so I've completed the basic tutorial and got some good knowledge, but I think I'm missing something very "basic" here.
PUN gives me the options to sync all of the entities in my games. My players can stream their info, and PUN sends it across all members in the room, which is awesome and makes my life simple.

So, as I understand - PUN exists only to sync state and events in my game? it doesn't offer any backend logic at all?
Let's take an MMO or a MOBA for example.
What if I need the server to have some timed events? What If I need validationvalidation checks to make sure my players aren't cheating?
I mean, I know that in MMO and the likes, the server IS the game, and I understand that PUN is basically mainly for room-based games, but how do I implement timed events like in MOBA?

Maybe I need to use one of the other products Photon offers.
if that's the case, can you please recommend which one is the best for my purposes?

Comments

• shafy
    shafy
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I think Photon is more suitable for room-based games, not for MMO. I think there are other SDKs you can use, such as SmartFox Server that designed with MMO in mind. I never developed an MMO, but you'll still need to write a lot of backend logic yourself for an MMO :-)

Maybe you can also use the Photon Server SDK and extend it so that it makes sense for an MMO, not sure though.

Edit: Check out their Photon SDK Server Docs here: https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/server/current/applications/mmo/mmo-concept
  • Saikodan
    Options
    Thanks!
    I think I wasn't looking for an MMO, but something with an Authoritative server.
    I'll look into the server by itself
    Thanks!