Propper solution for Unity3d and lack of docs

Options
migo
edited January 2012 in DotNet
Hello,

I'm new and I'm little confused.

1. Where can I read full documentation? Link http://developer.exitgames.com/ is smth like a joke. There're marketing materials instead developer docs. Where're full description of Photon classes?

2. What is difference between Photon Unity3d dotnet and unity networking plugin? Where should I use that solutions. Where can I check classes description for both solutions?

3. How is handled MMO support in photon. I thougth that is part of engine but I found only MMO Demo plugin, where is docs for that part of Photon? (I don't mean few paragraphs ondeveloper.exitgames.com but full documentation).

4. How can I add MMO support for my project and use it with Unity3d (again question about photon unity3d dotnet or photon unity networking plugin).

5. Can I use both chatrooms and mmo on one project?

6. Can I develop server behaviour for my mmo project on mono develop included in Unity3d or I have install visual studio?

Sorry for my stupid questions but there is lack of deocumentations on your webpage.

Regards,
Tomasz

Comments

• dreamora
    Options
    1. The documentation comes installed with the SDK

2. PUN is exclusively targeting the cloud & loadbalancing, while the Photon Unity 3D SDK targets the regular (Instance1) ie the Lite and MMO

4. Thats the Unity3D DotNet SDK then

5. If you implement it then yes. Its not that hard but the Lite Room based environment does not exist with MMO, but you can use Interest Areas and other ways to create chat rooms

6. 'do I have to install VS': You want to install VS whenever you work on windows. It does not crash all the time, is significantly faster and with Resharper / VisualX and similar addins 100 times more productive. Also its the only way to use .NET 4
    Unsure if MonoDevelop can build the required type of project, you would have to test it.
  • migo
    Options
    Thanks for quick reply :)
  • The socket server compiled help module doesn't appear to work on RC7. All the pages show up as blank (i.e. the contents lists all the pages, but clicking on them results in nothing being displayed).

EDIT: found my issue. It was just blocked by Win7 UAC.

http://www.west-wind.com/weblog/posts/2008/Dec/16/Problems-with-opening-CHM-Help-files-from-Network-or-Internet
  • Tobias
    Options
    Ouch that's mean!
    MS should better document that.
    Thanks for the link, we will include it in the readme.