Hoping to find some answers

Options
Hopefully someone can help me with some questions they are not the easiest ones to answer but any type of help would be very useful.

Our team are looking at using photon unity plug-in to handle are network back end and we just want to clear up some questions before hand.

We are hoping to make a small indie MMO with at minimum 1000 CCU's at the moment I see that the photon unity plug-in has a room limit of 255 due to it being limited by using the data type byte. Do you think the plug-in could handle 1000 CCU's if the game was optimised to every last inch?

Also on another note is there any documentation for the photon unity plug-in which is in depth plus a codex about all the classes and functions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi Athan.
    Athan wrote:
    We are hoping to make a small indie MMO with at minimum 1000 CCU's at the moment I see that the photon unity plug-in has a room limit of 255 due to it being limited by using the data type byte. Do you think the plug-in could handle 1000 CCU's if the game was optimised to every last inch?
    It seems to me, that you are mixin something uo here. The Photon Unity Networkin Plugin is for the client side of room-based games (like ego-shooters or RTS, where usally are a lot of game-instances (== rooms) with only a few players per instance). You will either connect to the Photon server in our Photon Cloud or run The Photon Server SDK on your own server hardware. The server can handle up to multiple thouands of players on a single machine depending on the hardware and on how much expensive potential custom server logic, implemented by you, is.
    For real MMOs with a lot of players in a single world you would use the serverside MMO-application, which offers an interest managment, so that your client will not excahnge all data with every other client in the world, but only exchange the stuff, that is of interest (for example it usually isn't of any interest for client A, when client B changes the clothes of its avatar every second, if client B is so far away from client A, that it can't be visually seen by A anyway).
    MMO isn't currently compatible with PUN. You would use the normal Photon Unity client therefor (try out the MMO-example from the asset-store), which differs more from Unitys build-in networking than PUN does, but it also more flexible.
    Athan wrote:
    Also on another note is there any documentation for the photon unity plug-in which is in depth plus a codex about all the classes and functions?
    PUN-documentation is still in the making, but as PUN is completly open-source, you can always check the code.
    Hoever like I said for a MMO you would not use PUN, but the normal Unity client anyway, which comes with a lot of documentation (general documentation is on the website, server-API documentation comes with the server-sdk and client-API-documentation and any documentation, which depends on the client platform, comes with the client SDK).
  • Hi Kaiserludi

Thank you for the response clears up some of my mind :), well I best go start looking at the main photon server SDK and the unity client SDK. hopefully I will get the hang of it. Thank you again for the reply.