Can't connect

Options
PaulT
edited November 2011 in Photon Server
I've been running a modified version of the Photon Marmalade code example in my app. I currently connect to "udp.exitgames.com:5055" as in the example.

This was running fine Friday and Saturday, and I was able to connect from my PC and my iPhone. Now, with the exact same code & executable, they can't.

What's going on, and is there a way for me to debug this? Is the Photon demo server down?

I tried changing the URL to URL_PHOTON_SERVER_DEV ("dev.udp.exitgames.com:5055") but this made no difference.

Comments

• Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi.
    The headers in the Marmalade SDK, which are defining those constants to those URLs state the following:
    // please start your own photon server, if possible, as these servers are not guaranteed to be available or compatible to your client

Please take this comment serious.
    These urls are really just for demonstration purposes, not for you to develop your game on them. Imagine, we would update them to Photon 3 today and you have to update your game to a compatible client immediately to continue development, no matter, if you have time for such an update, or not.
    dev.udp exitgames.com is offline for some time nows and apparently at the moment, udp.exitgames.com is also offline (yes, you can ping the url, but that doesn't mean, that actually a Photon server is running there).

Just download a Photon server sdk, which is compatible to your client and run it locally on your development computer.
  • Yes, I saw that comment, but I'm very early in development and I'd assumed I had some time before I had to get this running.

In any event, thanks; I'll do as you advise ASAP.
  • Tobias
    Options
    The native clients will also become compatible with our hosted cloud service. Then you could skip server setup and your own hosting.
    Until then, you will have to setup your own server.
    This might help: http://doc.exitgames.com/v3/quickstart/ ... iveminutes