The Photon Forum
is Closed Permanently.

After many dedicated years of service, we have made the decision to retire our Forum and switch to read-only: we´ve saved the best to last! Your search result can be found below. Plus, we offer support via these channels:

Try Our
Documentation

Please check if you can find an answer in our extensive documentation on Voice.

Join Us
on Discord

Meet and talk to our staff and the entire Photon-Community via Discord.

Read More on
Stack Overflow

Find more information on Stack Overflow (for Circle members only).

Write Us
an E-Mail

Feel free to send your question directly to our developers.

Error on disconnect

lmartell
2020-09-07 20:03:13

Hi, I'm making a mobile game that allows you to continue in single player mode if a multiplayer game ends prematurely. However, if internet connectivity is lost, I get an endless stream of errors from PhotonVoiceNetwork which affects performance. I'm currently solving it with:

But I'm curious if that causes issues if someone's connection flickers, or if there's a way Voice can handle this error a little more gracefully? Here's the full error:

Comments

JohnTube
2020-09-08 09:25:01

Hi @lmartell,

I see.
What is the disconnect cause here?

You could fix this using a proper solution not a workaround if you know why the client got disconnected in the first place.

• If both clients PUN 2 and Photon Voice 2 disconnect then this should not happen
  • If Photon Voice 2 disconnects and PUN 2 does not (unexpected), Photon Voice 2 will keep retrying to reconnect if PhotonVoiceNetwork.Instance.AutoConnectAndJoin is true
  • If PUN 2 enters offline mode, this depends on PhotonVoiceNetwork.Instance.WorkInOfflineMode

so I would adjust values PhotonVoiceNetwork.Instance.AutoConnectAndJoin and PhotonVoiceNetwork.Instance.WorkInOfflineMode. maybe at compile time or change them on the fly at runtime.
log disconnect cause(s).
maybe have a retry attempts threshold after which you stop.

You could also explicitly try calling PhotonVoiceNetwork.Instance.Disconnect.

lmartell
2020-09-08 15:41:24

I first ran across the error when my router crashed, but after that I was simulating it just by disabling my network adapter, so disconnect cause is just "Exception." If I disconnect the cable then cause is "Client Timeout" after a few seconds, which is what I'd expect. The repeating error is the same in either case.

I actually had some issues updating the voice plugin last week... I'm on 2.18 before WorkInOfflineMode was added, but started a separate thread for that and circle back once that's working.

Thanks!