Ideal bolt settings for fast paced 2d game

Options
Hello,

I'm currently developing a fast paced 2d sports game that uses unity physics and rigidbodies. The game is 2v2, with one ball and two goals, so there is not much data being sent through.

I've been testing the game with someone who lives in Finland (I'm in the US), and the input lag essentially makes the game unplayable. My question is, what are the ideal bolt settings to minimize input lag?

I've tested other p2p games (Lethal League) with my Finnish friend and found that the input lag is not noticeable. I know this game uses GGPO, not bolt, but I'm wondering if there's any way to achieve a similar result?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• stanchion
    Options
    I'm not sure why you'd have input lag. I'd have to see the game to see what's going on
  • Bawkington
    Options
    Hey stanchion, I sent you a private message with a video of what's going on included
  • stanchion
    Options
    Can you upload your player code?
  • Bawkington
    Options
    Sent to you in PM
  • stanchion
    Options
    For authoritative games you should use a character controller for the player. The new Unity beta has made it possible for client side prediction to be done for rigidbodies, but it seems limited to only one rigidbody (its very complicated)

The sample pack has a sample of an auth platformer controller if you want an example.

You should also test with latency simulation of 100-200 ms to simulate playing with someone in another country and whether your client side prediction is working properly.
  • Bawkington
    Options
    We are no longer using rigid bodies, and are now setting the position manually. The input lag issue is now gone, but we are having a new problem with the player teleporting. I PM'd you the new character script and a gif of what the issue looks like with a console error "Input queue is full".

Thanks!
  • stanchion
    Options
    If you send an email to support@boltengine.com I can send you a preview of the Bolt Sample Pack which includes an auth platformer example
  • Bawkington
    Options
    Okay, thanks.
  • Bawkington
    Options
    I took a look at the auth platformer example and it looks like it's programmed the same way my new one is. The new problem seems to be that on the client side, the player sprite teleports between a previous location it was at, and it's current location. On the hosts screen, this does not occur.
    As you can see here
  • stanchion
    Options
    Does this problem happen using my example?
  • Bawkington
    Options
    I had my programmer set up your example with this launch script ( https://pastebin.com/iqEbSQaQ) and when I connect, no character spawns for me even though an id is assigned. Bolt assemblies were compiled before testing. Here's a screen of the Bolt console. And another of the build settings.
  • stanchion
    Options
    Your script doesn't make sense to me, just use BoltInit.cs

I tested with both BoltInit and DebugStart and did not have an issue
  • Bawkington
    Options
    Okay, we got it working and the problem doesn't happen using your example. However, our game has different needs and our problem is quite specific. It seems like it should be a relatively easy fix but we are really struggling to find a solution. Seems to only happen when client side players collide with anything, if you're in the air it doesn't happen. On server side the problem doesn't happen. Maybe it has something to do with prediction?

Do you have any idea of what could be causing it? If not, is there someone you could recommend us hiring for a day to take a look at the problem?

Thanks for all the help so far.
  • stanchion
    Options
    Not sure what the issue is just from the description. I offer consulting, my Skype is "stanchion2"