Photon wont start on older Android devices unless I restart after game install

Options
Hi there,
I have a pretty weird and random issue. I'm trying to optimize my game so it works on older devices such as a Samsung Note 3. On the Note 3, when I first install the game, for some reason it won't connect to the Photon Cloud. If I restart my phone after the install, it works great, no issues at all. For now I found a work around where if I detect that Photon doesn't work, I give the player a message asking them to restart their phone. However I would like to solve this issue if possible. Any ideas at all why this could be happening? I'm pushing the game from my Unity Editor straight to the phone via a USB cable. I don't have a newer Android device to test this on unfortunately so I'm not sure if this is happening on older devices or all android ones either...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Best Answer

• stefanplc
    stefanplc
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, the issue you describe is correct. If I restart the device after the install, everything works well without any issues. I haven't tried a different Unity version, just the most recent one. I did try the same thing on a Nexus tablet from 2013, so around the same period. On the Nexus tablet, if the game is uninstalled so I install a fresh copy, the same thing happens. However if the game is already installed and I install over it, it does connect without any issues. I also tried adding a button in the middle of the screen that calls PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings(GameVersion); instead of running that from Start(); but it didn't do anything.

I will try logcat and DDMS when I get a chance, I haven't so far. I thought maybe someone else encountered a similar situation and I just had to change some settings or something like that. For example one post on a different forum said something about using .Net subset instead of .Net so I was hoping it was something similar.

Answers

• stefanplc
    Options
    Btw, if this helps, the game is able to connect to the internet as that's the first thing I check for. And only after it detects that it can connect to the internet, I check to see there's any change in the network connection through "PhotonNetwork.connectionStateDetailed.ToString();".
  • stefanplc
    Options
    Also, when there is no internet, I generally at least get the "Peer Created" status message. With my issue I'm getting nothing at all.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @stefanplc,

This is a weird issue!
    So to describe it:
    every time you push and install a new APK version you need to restart your Samsung Note 3?
    Maybe it is related to the Unity version you are using.
    Did you try a different Unity version or different devices?

I can guarantee that Photon has no issues with multiple old or new devices I tried, Nexus 5, HTC M8 and other generic cheap Android devices.

So this must be specific to Note 3 probably.
    Do you use logcat? Maybe you can spot something useful in the logs.
    If you have Android Studio, try DDMS.
  • stefanplc
    stefanplc
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, the issue you describe is correct. If I restart the device after the install, everything works well without any issues. I haven't tried a different Unity version, just the most recent one. I did try the same thing on a Nexus tablet from 2013, so around the same period. On the Nexus tablet, if the game is uninstalled so I install a fresh copy, the same thing happens. However if the game is already installed and I install over it, it does connect without any issues. I also tried adding a button in the middle of the screen that calls PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings(GameVersion); instead of running that from Start(); but it didn't do anything.

I will try logcat and DDMS when I get a chance, I haven't so far. I thought maybe someone else encountered a similar situation and I just had to change some settings or something like that. For example one post on a different forum said something about using .Net subset instead of .Net so I was hoping it was something similar.