Game network architecture question (loadbalancer)?

Options
ody
ody
edited March 2017 in Photon Server
So I am in the process of studying the details of photon. So far I am familiar with the basic concepts. Now I wonder if I shall start from scratch or if I should use and build upon the LoadBalancer SDK Project.

The game itself will require a Master Server (the world) - where people connect and where most game actions are handled - also this game server will be fully authoritative and control everything server side. While this sounds like a MMO concept it isn't, because the game is static and there are no player interactions or realtime movements involved - just basic Operation/Events depending on your actions (I will also use TCP, because no need for reliable UDP here). Surely there will also be some global interactions between players through a chat or a marketplace later on but this could be handled separately. So the master server itself needs to have access to the game database and will be able to control all player actions on their own.

However there will also be the combat part of the game - so e.g. once you click on a specific entity a battle will start. The battle will be real time and will require some basic/slow actions (TCP should be fine - nothing speedy here). Also you will be able to do these kind of combats with friends in coop or pvp.... ->

So this brings me to the question if it wouldn't make sense to use this Master/Game Server mechanic from the loadbalancer sdk to transfer the client over to a specific "room" only during those battles - where they are engaging against players (using the rooms to meet them up) or alone (empty rooms) to fight against npcs. So the game server would then handle the combat - also fully authoritative (I would send all necessary data for the combat together with the client to the game server).

What I would like to know now is, would this scenario be feasible to build upon the loadbalancing sdk - in basic terms - extend the master server and game server functionality in regard of the events/authoritative behavior - or do you think I should rather start from scratch and manage it completely myself - maybe whole mechanic on a single server - and creating several Independent realms per x amount of players.

Thanks a lot for your input,
Oliver

Comments

• chvetsov
    Options
    hi, Oliver

from your description i think it is feasable to user Master/Game servers

best,
    ilya
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @ody (Oliver),

As @chvetsov mentioned, this is doable using Loadbalancing but you still need to tweak Master Application to allow communication between players connected to Master Server.
  • ody
    Options
    Yeah I am checking up the loadbalancer code and try to get a hang of it - from what I can see the master is immeadently giving the user to one of its game servers and that is exactly where I have to intervene - so I can handle the basic logic and gameplay there and only designate them to game server in case of the combats.

Thanks and I guess I may have a few more questions once I am at this stage,
    Oliver