[solved] Photon v2.2.1 does not start

SirManGuy
edited May 2011 in Photon Server
3152: 23:33:35.874 - CService::OnException() - Exception: CManagedHost::StartApplication() - Failed to start application in AppDomain: 2 - An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for Photon: That assembly does not allow partially trusted callers. (C:\Users\Waeric\My Projects\Game Development\PhotonSDK 2.2\deploy\Lite\Lite\bin\Lite.dll.config line 9)

Do we need to install the DLLs to the GAC or am I missing something?

Comments

• Hmmm, this one is new for us! We will check what's happening here.
    Did you use the SDK without modification?
    If not, please let us know what changes you did.

Edit: We tried to reproduce this: download, unzip and run. We couldn't reproduce the issue with the binaries from the SDK. As Chris posted below: please help us to nail this one.
  • SirManGuy wrote:
    3152: 23:33:35.874 - CService::OnException() - Exception: CManagedHost::StartApplication() - Failed to start application in AppDomain: 2 - An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for Photon: That assembly does not allow partially trusted callers. (C:\Users\Waeric\My Projects\Game Development\PhotonSDK 2.2\deploy\Lite\Lite\bin\Lite.dll.config line 9)

Do we need to install the DLLs to the GAC or am I missing something?

Could you pls email us the details of your setup to developer@exitgames.com:
    - used OS (Windows 7?)
    - installed location (looks like user folder, network drive?)
    - .NET CLR installed

thanks.
  • Sent email, let me know if there is anything else I can send
  • Just emailed you a work-around that worked for me - posting it here in case others experience the same.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. download photon from the web site
    2. extract the zip using "extract all" (right-click on zip)
    3. start photon --> Warning: The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run
    this software?
    --> click yes
    4. check log --> CService::OnException() - Exception:
    CManagedHost::StartApplication() - Failed to start application in AppDomain:
    2 - An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for Photon:
    That assembly does not allow partially trusted callers.
    (C:\Users\Boris\Downloads\ExitGames-Photon-Server-SDK_v2-2-0\deploy\Lite\Lite\bin\Lite.dll.config
    line 9)

Solution: Do not use the windows built-in unzip at step 2. Use another tool instead, 7zip for instance.
  • Just to confirm for future reference - this was the issue for me.
  • I used Winzip latest and I still get this error, I have emailed my logs for the partially trusted problem. Nothing I have done so far helps me get around this problem.
  • Try 7zip? -- it may only be 7zip that actually works?
  • This is a really annoying issue with VS2010, which we used internally to build the Photon Core part.
    We already found a fix and will release an update soon (read: I guess tomorrow but don't dare to promise). :)
  • I updated the Server SDK. The new one accepts partially trusted assemblies and you can (once more) use any unzip tool you like.

SirManGuy: I was almost changing the topic into something more specific like "[solved] Photon v2.2.1 does not start" but then thought: maybe you wouldn't like that. Would you mind if I did?
  • Please do, I read it today and thought this is a terrible subject header
  • Glad I could help :)
  • Just for information :
    I had the same problem with the last version (ExitGames-Photon-Server-SDK_v2-4-7.zip)
    When I extract it with winrar it doesn't work but with 7Zip it's ok. (on Windows Server 2003)
  • FYI:
    The latest version is 2.6.0, released a bit over a week ago:
    http://blog.exitgames.com/2011/05/photo ... -released/

But thanks for the info, we will check, if the issue has been reintroduced.
  • For some reason, MS changed the assembly attributes in DotNet4. At least that's what we think is causing this again.
    We will look into it when we find the time. As workaround:
    Dont download with IE
    Dont unzip with WinRar or Explorer

Thanks for the heads up.
  • You have to right-click the zip -> properties --> unblock.