multiplayer max is 6 players at default sendInterval of 50

Options
Is the subject line true? max messages is 300 per second, so each player at default sendInterval of 50 messages per second = 300/50 = 6 players

Comments

• gnoblin
    Options
    that's default send interval, not sendrate :)
  • thanks, corrected to sendInterval in subject and post
  • Tobias
    Options
    The sendRateOnSerialize defines how often the method OnPhotonSerialize in your scripts is called. This is 10 by default.
    Any update is sent as message to the server and also to the other players in the room, so it causes player-count number of messages.
    5 players send 10 updates per second = 250 msg/(sec and room).
    We average the count over all rooms of your appId and there's no hard limit where we cut off users for exceeding the limit.
  • >5 players send 10 updates per second = 250 msg/(sec and room).
    >We average the count over all rooms of your appId and there's no hard limit where we cut off users for exceeding the limit.

I see how 5 players = 5*5*10 = 250 msg/sec

I'm confused by when you say there's no hard limit though - my guess for my game is that I'm getting disconnects(cutting off users) because I am exceeding the default message rate of 300 msg/sec - if I shouldn't be getting a disconnect, then how are you charging for the extra bandwidth capacity - am I accidentally running up a service charge that I'll find about later?
  • Tobias
    Options
    We don't disconnect users cause you exceed the limit of messages/sec and room.
    We monitor usage and will get into contact with developers when their game exceeds some limits or causes problems. Then we find a way to improve that.

Most likely, the disconnects happen cause you accidentally overwhelm your clients or fill the server's sendbuffers or your client is loading something for a few seconds and does not pause the messageQueue.
    The PhotonStatsGui could help you find out about the amount of data you send. Attach it to the cam and activate the checkboxes to show a gui for this info.
    I'll write a doc about this later today or tomorrow.