With Flash?

Hey is there a way to get this to work with unitys flash build yet? Love the product, Would be great to use it with flash so more people will play! So many people tell me "Im not downloading any plugins" its annoying!

Thanks!

Comments

• Once the Unity Flahs support is really live (its only in beta and will be sold on its own when its really launched likely with 4.0) then yes it will work. just ensure that you enable the tcp port forward on the server and that you don't touch unreliable as flash has no udp

and keep adobes 9% share in mind or the lose of hardware acceleration thats the alternative to it
  • dreamora wrote:
    and that you don't touch unreliable as flash has no udp
    One can still mark Photon operations as unreliable with TCP, Photon just ignores the reliability flag in tcp-mode, so that it doesn't make any difference, what you pass there, when you use TCP, but you will still profit from situations, wehre unreliable would be the better choise for non-Flash-clients, which can use udp, without having to check at dozens of places in your code, if tcp or udp is used. Of course one should keep in mind, that unreliable won't get you anything in Flash.
  • Thats naturally true.
    My point was more to not touch it in design cause it simply does not exist and makes a major difference if your design expects it to work (low latency networking).
  • Hello,
    Kaiserludi wrote:
    One can still mark Photon operations as unreliable with TCP, Photon just ignores the reliability flag in tcp-mode, so that it doesn't make any difference, what you pass there, when you use TCP, but you will still profit from situations, wehre unreliable would be the better choise for non-Flash-clients, which can use udp, without having to check at dozens of places in your code, if tcp or udp is used. Of course one should keep in mind, that unreliable won't get you anything in Flash.

Do you mean I can simulate UDP with TCP speeding up TCP interactions?

I'm going to make a Realtime Multiplayer game on flashplayer and I'm looking to some solution in order to have a UDP-like communication. Do you think it is possible to use TCP in a more UDP way in Photon?

Thanks!
  • No, we can't change TCP in any way. What you could do is to drop a few messages when you labeled them as unreliable. If you don't send them because you know there's trouble already, then there is a small chance that the TCP connection recovers faster because you don't keep on putting things in the queue like mad.

We do have the unreliable flag in TCP, because those clients can still interact with UDP clients. They benefit, the TCP user not.
  • Thanks Tobias,
    unfourtunatly is everything clear! :)