RegionHandler.EnabledRegions Not Showing All Whitelisted Regions

Hello, I'm attempting to provide an option in our application to switch between regions.

I do this by:

1) disconnecting through PhotonNetwork.Disconnect()

2) settings the fixed region via PhotonNetwork.PhotonServerSettings.AppSettings.FixedRegion

3) reconnecting through PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings()

The associated AppID and VoiceID region whitelists contains the region code I'm attempting to set for PhotonNetwork.PhotonServerSettings.AppSettings.FixedRegion.

Attempting to reconnect to Photon with PhotonNetwork.PhotonServerSettings.AppSettings.FixedRegion set to "cae" logs these:

OperationResponse 230: ReturnCode: 32756 (Cloud industries / Region cae is not available.). Parameters: {} Server: NameServer Address: ns.photonengine.io:5058

Disconnect Cause: InvalidRegion

In addition, I've checked IConnectionCallbacks.OnRegionListReceived(RegionHandler) to see what results I receive for regions and RegionHandler.EnabledRegions only returns the 'us' and 'eu' region codes.

So, here are my questions:

What would stop the region list from not being able to receive all the regions listed in the AppID and VoiceID whitelist and how would I remedy this?

Am I incorrectly reconnecting to a specific region? If so, how would I be able to connect to one of the whitelisted regions?

Thanks in advance :)

Best Answer

• Tobias
    Tobias admin
    Answer ✓

When your client defines a FixedRegion, it will skip fetching the region list. This is to speed up connecting. In case you set a non-existing region as FixedRegion, the server will let you know, too (so you are not missing the error).

Setting a FixedRegion is actually the most convenient way to connect to a specific region but it's not getting you the complete list at that moment. For that, connect without a fixed region first. If the region of choice is not the one picked by the system, then disconnect, set a FixedRegion from the list and ConnectUsingSettings again.

CAE is not available as region for the Industries Cloud, sorry.

To check which regions should be available for your AppId, I'd need to know it. Please mail us (to developer@photonengine.com) and we'll look up why you only get US and EU regions listed.

Answers

• Tobias
    Tobias admin
    Answer ✓

When your client defines a FixedRegion, it will skip fetching the region list. This is to speed up connecting. In case you set a non-existing region as FixedRegion, the server will let you know, too (so you are not missing the error).

Setting a FixedRegion is actually the most convenient way to connect to a specific region but it's not getting you the complete list at that moment. For that, connect without a fixed region first. If the region of choice is not the one picked by the system, then disconnect, set a FixedRegion from the list and ConnectUsingSettings again.

CAE is not available as region for the Industries Cloud, sorry.

To check which regions should be available for your AppId, I'd need to know it. Please mail us (to developer@photonengine.com) and we'll look up why you only get US and EU regions listed.

• VRV_Dev
    VRV_Dev
    edited March 2023

Oh yes, I failed to mention that I begin by connecting via PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings() without FixedRegion set which is why I even receive a region list in the first place.

I then go through the process that you describe here:

"[To retrieve a region list], connect without a fixed region first. If the region of choice is not the one picked by the system, then disconnect, set a FixedRegion from the list and ConnectUsingSettings again."

I'm already in contact with another Photon representative through email as you suggested so I will resolve this question for now.

Appreciate the help Tobias.