Questions about Photon Technologies for Medium-Scale MMO game?

Hey, hope you are in excellent health.

Currently I am deciding on my MMO game's architecture, and Photon seems like it's cut out for the job.

I am thinking about using Photon (self-hosted) with Photon Fusion.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to use Photon Server in combination with Photon Fusion as the client?
  2. Does the default Photon Server code cater to room-based games or is it generic and will work for an MMO game?
  3. How many CCU will the server be able to handle with Fusion's Interest Management capabilities (if applicable)

I want to use Photon Fusion as it has Interest Management which is something that seems is needed.

Will greatly appreciate answers to my questions. Thanks!

Best Answer

• Tobias
    Tobias admin
    Answer ✓
    1. No. At the moment, Photon Server (for self hosting) does not support Fusion.
    2. Fusion and the generic Photon Server code is mostly room based. We don't have a generic solution for MMOs.
    3. We don't have such numbers, as we focus on the room based approach and it would depend on what you do, anyways.

You could possibly shard your world into smaller segments. How many fit in each, depends on a lot of factors (from network to processing power and simulation)...

Answers

• Tobias
    Tobias admin
    Answer ✓
    1. No. At the moment, Photon Server (for self hosting) does not support Fusion.
    2. Fusion and the generic Photon Server code is mostly room based. We don't have a generic solution for MMOs.
    3. We don't have such numbers, as we focus on the room based approach and it would depend on what you do, anyways.

You could possibly shard your world into smaller segments. How many fit in each, depends on a lot of factors (from network to processing power and simulation)...