Can I use multiple AppId's for one game?

Options

Hi! I am currently developing a first-person-shooter game, and I would like to add a chat box to the game. However, I noticed that there are multiple types of photon servers: Photon PUN, (the one im using), and Photon Chat.

I am a little confused on which one I should use, because each server gives a different appId- but I can only use one appId for my game.

Is there a way to implement chat without using photon chat, or should I switch?

Best Answer

• Tobias
    Tobias admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can send RPCs in a room to create a chat but the architecture will be different from what Photon Chat really does. As opposed to PUN / Realtime, Photon Chat is independent from rooms so groups of users can chat in a channel while anyone is in a PUN lobby, room or even disconnected.

You can use one PUN-, one Chat- and one Voice-AppId in a single title. Each is a separate product from our point of view but they can be combined easily. See the PhotonServerSettings file in PUN.

Answers

• Tobias
    Tobias admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can send RPCs in a room to create a chat but the architecture will be different from what Photon Chat really does. As opposed to PUN / Realtime, Photon Chat is independent from rooms so groups of users can chat in a channel while anyone is in a PUN lobby, room or even disconnected.

You can use one PUN-, one Chat- and one Voice-AppId in a single title. Each is a separate product from our point of view but they can be combined easily. See the PhotonServerSettings file in PUN.

• Thanks for the reply!

Right now I already have implemented a chat system into my game that (almost) works, so I am just going to stick with that instead of having to cycle between different services.

But thank you for that info! I will definitely be trying this out in the future.