Is NetworkCharacterController deprecated?

Options
Davelot
Davelot
edited July 2022 in Fusion

Hello

According to the Fusion-100 tutorial, I added NetworkCharacterController to my GameObject.

But when I do, then a warning message shows up. It says: "This class has been deprecated. Use the new NetworkCharacterControllerPrototype, which uses Unity's CharacterController, or the Kinematic Character Controller package."

I found NetworkCharacterController in the photon API reference, but I didn't find anything NetworkCharacterControllerPrototype, except some mentions in the Photon release notes.

Why does this message come? Is this message from Photon or Unity? Should I accept the hint to use NetworkCharacterControllerPrototype or should I stick with NetworkCharacterController?

Unity version: 2020.3

Photon Fusion version: 1.0.0

Thank you for the answer!

Best Answer

• emotitron
    emotitron ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The docs have been updated to indicate NCCP rather than NCC. NCCP does require using the Unity CC so an extra step may be needed.

I will check to see why these changes haven't moved from the docs development branch to the current live branch - thanks for the report.

Answers

• emotitron
    emotitron ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The docs have been updated to indicate NCCP rather than NCC. NCCP does require using the Unity CC so an extra step may be needed.

I will check to see why these changes haven't moved from the docs development branch to the current live branch - thanks for the report.

• Davelot
    Options

I see that you updated the docs, but I think its wrong currently, because NetworkCharacterControllerPrototype component doesn't have Collider slot, so that you can't assign the Collider game object to it.

As far as I figured out the correct approach is to unite the Body and Collider game object so that Mesh Filter, Mesh Renderer and Collider component is in the same child object, then assign this to NCCP's Interpolation Target field.

Thus you need to change the CharacterController's height to 1 in order to cover Cube properly, otherwise it will levitate above the terrain.

Thank you for your answer!

This discussion has been closed.