AWS + Photon Server + Photon PUN + Photon Realtime + Unity = Can't connect to the server

Photon sdk v: PUN 2.40 LIB 4.1.6.11

WINDOWS SERVER BASE 2019 (Virtual Machine on AWS )

Photon Server 5v.

Repro Steps:

1.- Please, download the following project of Unity

2.- Configuration of PhotonServerSettings:

3.- I followed this guide

This

this

4.- About the EC2 Machine

Ports are open

The public ip is running on the machine and in the guide I set manually the public porst on GameServer.xml.config - Nameserver.json and PhotonServer.config

Firewall windows

Photon server

5.- The error on Unity

OperationResponse 230: ReturnCode: -2 (Missing value 210 (AuthenticateRequest.Region)

). Parameters: {} Server: MasterServer Address: 18.212.xx.xxx:xxxx

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)

Photon.Realtime.LoadBalancingClient:DebugReturn (ExitGames.Client.Photon.DebugLevel,string) (at Assets/Photon/PhotonRealtime/Code/LoadBalancingClient.cs:2564)

Photon.Realtime.LoadBalancingClient:OnOperationResponse (ExitGames.Client.Photon.OperationResponse) (at Assets/Photon/PhotonRealtime/Code/LoadBalancingClient.cs:2644)

ExitGames.Client.Photon.PeerBase:DeserializeMessageAndCallback (ExitGames.Client.Photon.StreamBuffer) (at D:/Dev/Work/photon-dotnet-sdk/PhotonDotNet/PeerBase.cs:872)

ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer:DispatchIncomingCommands () (at D:/Dev/Work/photon-dotnet-sdk/PhotonDotNet/EnetPeer.cs:565)

ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer:DispatchIncomingCommands () (at D:/Dev/Work/photon-dotnet-sdk/PhotonDotNet/PhotonPeer.cs:1771)

Photon.Pun.PhotonHandler:Dispatch () (at Assets/Photon/PhotonUnityNetworking/Code/PhotonHandler.cs:222)

Photon.Pun.PhotonHandler:FixedUpdate () (at Assets/Photon/PhotonUnityNetworking/Code/PhotonHandler.cs:145)

Logs

Please help. Thanks.

Comments

• UPDATE:

Project on One Drive is delete for segurity reasons.

• hi, @RogelioVR

From error you got it is clear that you managed to connect. Do you see that server answers you?

The think is that your auth request does not contain region.

@Tobias could you help here?

best,

ilya

• Hi @chvetsov

thanks for the reply:

FYI

using System.Collections;

using System.Collections.Generic;

using UnityEngine;

using Photon.Realtime;

using Photon.Pun;

using UnityEngine.UI;

public class Menu : MonoBehaviourPunCallbacks

{

[Tooltip("The UI Label to inform the user that the connection is in progress")]

[SerializeField]

private Text textStatus;

[SerializeField]

private GameObject buttonEnter;

private bool isConnecting = false;

private const string GameVersion = "0.1";

private const int MaxPlayersPerRoom = 20;

// Start is called before the first frame update

void Start()

{

textStatus.enabled = false;

Debug.Log("Start Photon Network");

}

private void Awake()

{

PhotonNetwork.AutomaticallySyncScene = true;

}

public void SearchForGame()

{

textStatus.enabled = true;

buttonEnter.SetActive(false);

textStatus.text = "Searching for Server";

Debug.Log("Searching for Server");

isConnecting = true;

if (PhotonNetwork.IsConnected)

{

PhotonNetwork.JoinRandomRoom();

}

else

{

PhotonNetwork.GameVersion = GameVersion;

PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings();

}

}

public override void OnConnectedToMaster()

{

if (isConnecting)

{

PhotonNetwork.JoinRandomRoom();

textStatus.text = "Connected to Server";

Debug.Log("Connecting to Server");

}

}

public override void OnDisconnected(DisconnectCause cause)

{

textStatus.text = "Connected to Server " + cause.ToString();

Debug.Log("Disconnected from Server" + cause.ToString());

}

public override void OnJoinRandomFailed(short returnCode, string message)

{

PhotonNetwork.CreateRoom(null, new RoomOptions { MaxPlayers = MaxPlayersPerRoom });

Debug.Log(returnCode + "," + message);

}

public override void OnJoinedRoom()

{

Debug.Log("Client succesfully joined room");

PhotonNetwork.LoadLevel("Game");

}

public override void OnCustomAuthenticationFailed(string debugMessage)

{

Debug.Log(debugMessage);

}

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @RogelioVR,

Did you try checking "Use Name Server" in PhotonServerSettings? as far as I can see you should fail to connect in the first place as you try to connect to the MasterServer ("Use Name Server" unchecked) using NameServer port (5058).

• Hello Team! :D

Do you need more information? How I can help you?

@chvetsov @Tobias @JohnTube

Have a nice day.

• You get a disconnect due to "Invalid Region". In your config we can see "eu" being set. It seems this does not match the Photon Server v5 configuration you run.

See Missing Photon Cloud Features In V5.0.12.24499, which should be the solution you need.

Sorry for the delays. The Easter holidays are extended by vacations for several team members.

• RogelioVR
    RogelioVR
    edited April 2022

SOLUTION!

A workaround is to double the region entries in Nameserver.json by adding a duplicate per region but with '/*' suffix as name for each region you have. So, for example, if you have "eu" region only, you need to add and identical entry by with "eu/*" as name.

In th NameServer.js in /deploy/ (in the machine server)

Thanks! Sorry for the delay! :D BUT HEY! THIS IS A COMPLETE TASK! :D

@chvetsov @Tobias @JohnTube

• Meep
    Meep ✭✭✭

To fix this without doubling every entry in the Nameserver.json file, you can go to NameServer.ClientPeer.HandleAuthenticateRequest, then you may add this code to fix it:

var authReq = authenticateRequest;

if (authReq.Region != null && authReq.Region.Contains("/*"))
    {
    	authReq.Region = authReq.Region.Replace("/*", "");
    }

This happens because of their cluster sharding functionality.

• Meep
    Meep ✭✭✭

Also don't set your hostname as "Server", it's for your actual hostname which will be sent to ipv6 clients which are using nat64 to bridge a connection

• RogelioVR
    RogelioVR
    edited April 2022

Thanks for the help! :D

Another question:

I'm trying to build a HTML UNITY for itch.io. When I use the serverless, it works, but, in this context, I have this error.

HTTP Response Header "Content-Type" configured incorrectly on the server for file Build/V04-ServerAWS.wasm , should be "application/wasm". Startup time performance will suffer.

So, in the page of Photon server:

Known Issues In V5.0.12.24499

• Setting GameServer IP via PhotonControl will result in an error. You need to set the GameServer IP manually in "deploy\LoadBalancing\bin\GameServer.xml.config" and the setting name is "PublicIPAddress".
    • A configuration error in PhotonServer.config's HTTPListeners' URLs makes it impossible to connect to the server via WebSocket protocol out of the box. Replace "/+" with "/*" and it should work.

My settings are:

GameServer.xml.config

But I don't understand the "fix" that Photon gives me.

Thanks

• But I don't understand the "fix" that Photon gives me.

How do you mean?

This thread highlights several tasks the server team should tackle for the next beta or release. Thanks for the updates and sorry for the hassle.

• Hello @Tobias Thanks for the reply:

Sorry if I didn't explain my self correctly: What I mean is that in a HTML5 Build, hosted un itch.io, I have this error:

HTTP Response Header "Content-Type" configured incorrectly on the server for file Build/V04-ServerAWS.wasm , should be "application/wasm". Startup time performance will suffer.

And in the page of Photon Server, the following informativo is not clear for me.

Known Issues In V5.0.12.24499

Setting GameServer IP via PhotonControl will result in an error. You need to set the GameServer IP manually in "deploy\LoadBalancing\bin\GameServer.xml.config" and the setting name is "PublicIPAddress".

-What do you mean with "setting name is (...)"?

A configuration error in PhotonServer.config's HTTPListeners' URLs makes it impossible to connect to the server via WebSocket protocol out of the box. Replace "/+" with "/*" and it should work.

- Where is this file "PhotonServer.config's"? AIt's a line of code I need to replace?

In resume: this thread is about how connect a Windows Unity Build to a AWS Machine... and it works. Now, with the same configuration, but with a HTML5 Unity Build deploy, and hosting the build on itch.io, I have the errors that I posted above.

Maybe we can close this post, and create another thread message with this new topic?

Thanks again :)

• The itch.io hosting error seems to be related to the content type they send for what you host on their servers. This is not our domain and we can't help.

You need to set the GameServer IP manually in "deploy\LoadBalancing\bin\GameServer.xml.config" and the setting name is "PublicIPAddress".

You need to configure the value of key PublicIPAddress in GameServer.xml.config. Set it to the public IP your machine will use to listen to connections.

The file is named PhotonServer.config. You should be able to find it. In it, do the replacement as described.

this thread is about how connect a Windows Unity Build [...] but with a HTML5 Unity Build deploy, and hosting the build on itch.io, I have the errors that I posted above.

The change of topic was a bit confusing. Maybe I didn't read everything well enough.

• RogelioVR
    RogelioVR
    edited April 2022

Thanks @Tobias for the answer.

I don't have a "Close thread Button". So, with this, let's close the thread :)

Have a good time!

• You're welcome. Let us know if anything else pops up.