Players Controlling Each Other

Hi guys!

I got a bit of a problem. I’ve been trying to solve it for weeks now but I can’t seem to get it solved unfortunately. I’m very new to unity and C#. So that’s why I came here to ask you guys for some help! : )

So here is the problem:

I have been trying to make my first little fps game a multiplayer game. I have watched a lot of different videos. I ended up using this one: https://youtu.be/93SkbMpWCGo. The only difference is that my game is a 3D game. So I changed Vector2’s into Vector3’s. I will link my project below so you can have a look trough the code.

I did all the steps except the last step which is step 9. Which shouldn't be causing the problem. As long as 1 player joins the game everything is fine. However, as soon as a second player joins the game, they start controlling each other. Also if you press shoot both the players shoot. I have had the same issue using mirror networking. Can anyone please help me with this? Thanks in advance : )

Btw I have been using ParrelSync Clone Manager to test it out.

Here is the link to the project:

The code:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
using Photon.Pun;

public class PlayerMovement : MonoBehaviour
{
  public CharacterController controller;

public float speed = 12f;
  public float gravity = -9.81f;
  public float jumpHeigt = 3f;

public Transform groundCheck;
  public float groundDistance = 0.4f;
  public LayerMask groundMask;

Vector3 velocity;
  bool isGrounded;

PhotonView view;

private void Start()
  {
  view = GetComponent<PhotonView>();
  }

// Update is called once per frame
  void Update()
  {
  if (view.IsMine)
  {
  isGrounded = Physics.CheckSphere(groundCheck.position, groundDistance, groundMask);

if (isGrounded && velocity.y < 0)
  {
  velocity.y = -2f;
  }

float x = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal");
  float z = Input.GetAxis("Vertical");

Vector3 move = transform.right * x + transform.forward * z;

controller.Move(move * speed * Time.deltaTime);

if (Input.GetButtonDown("Jump") && isGrounded)
  {
  velocity.y = Mathf.Sqrt(jumpHeigt * -2 * gravity);
  }

velocity.y += gravity * Time.deltaTime;

controller.Move(velocity * Time.deltaTime);
  }
  else
  {
  return;
  }
  }
}

Answers

• Just make sure that before you call a function, add the if statement if (PhotonView.IsMine) so that it's only called for that specific player. That's really all there is to it

• Hi! Thanks for the comment :) I tried it and now this happend:

I changed

if (view.IsMine)

To

if (PhotonView.IsMine)

like you said.

Now I can’t start the game anymore because all compiler errors need to be fixed. And this is the error:

”error CS0120: An object reference is required for the non-statick field, method, or property ‘PhotonView.IsMine’“.

this wasn’t the case when it was

if (view.IsMine)

They controlled each other, but at least I didn’t get the error and I was able to startup the game.

Do you (or anyone) know what’s going on here and what I have to do in order for it to work properly?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

• Can't really help with this concrete case, sorry. But if nothing else helps, the PUN Basics Tutorial covers use of IsMine.

• I will definitely have a look at that. Thank you!

I will let you guys know if I managed to fix it and how I fixed it so feature people visiting this page can learn from it. I will let you guys know by commenting like I’m doing now. Until then, every help from everyone is always highly appreciated :)

• I have exact the same problem. Did you find a solution?

Kind regards :, )

• Nope 🥲. Also I messed up my complete project. So I had to stop it. I told myself that I would start with the photon PUN tutorial. But im doubting if I should start now, or wait for gpu prices to drop in order for me to build a proper pc. Cuz the MacBook Pro mid 2015 im using struggles a bit as it is quite old at this point

• i think the error comes with the variable controller. It looks like not assigned properly in the code posted.

• Interesting. I’ll have a look at it next time when I get back to it. Thanks :)

• I think I solved the problem. I had it too and I noticed ( at least in my case) that you could control the other player because you were the other player, just the camera's switched. So I went and added the PhotonView component to my camera and added this line of code:

(Remember to assign the PhotonView to view in Inspector, otherwise it doesn't work).

This solved my problem, but I don't know if it will work for others.