Photon Voice version VS Photon Server Version

Hello,

We are updating an app (Unity 2019.4, Photon Voice 2.10) and we update also the photon voice asset in this new version (Unity 2020.3, Photon Voice 2.28).

The old app can connect to a photon server V4 on a local LAN.

With the update, we have some issue to connect the server.

Below , the things we have do and their specific issues:

1 - Change the SerializationProtocol to GpBinaryV16. In this case the photon part connect successly but the voice part fail.

2 - Change the server version to photon server V5 but old app can't connect.

SocketException in EndReceive. State: Connected. Server: '192.168.100.111' ErrorCode: 10054 SocketErrorCode: ConnectionReset Message: An existing connection had to be closed by the remote host.

Are we doing something in both case?

Thanks in advance for tips and/or advices.

Softelectro

Answers

• hi, @Softelectro

yes, photon 4 does not support protocol 1.8 however new client libs use it. @vadim could you help with voice setup?

in regard to issues with connection from old to new, I do not see reason why it should not work. what protocol are you using? what ports?

best,

ilya

• Tobias
    Tobias admin
    edited March 2022

As you say: To connect to V4 servers, you need define the serialization protocol as 1.6. New clients no longer do this (which was a workaround for a while).

You have to do this for the LoadBalancingClients of PUN and Voice. There are two connections. See VoiceConnection.cs setting up the Transport / client.

The V5 server is just setup in a way it doesn't listen to the IP:Port your client does. With that, I can't really help without diving into your setup.

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Softelectro,

To connect to v4 and use Binary Serialization Protocol v1.6.

If you use Photon Voice with PUN integration (PhotonVoiceNetwork) and keep keep default PhotonVoiceNetwork.AutoConnectAndJoin (true, enabled, ticket, checked) then setting the SerializationProtocol for PUN is enough as Photon Voice client will copy PUN settings including this before connecting.

But here is how to change the SerializationProtocol for Voice client before connecting:

PhotonVoiceNetwork.Instance.Client.SerializationProtocol = SerializationProtocol.GpBinaryV16;

or

voiceConnection.Client.SerializationProtocol = SerializationProtocol.GpBinaryV16;

To connect to v5 you don't need to do anything special from the client if the server is configured properly.

Maybe you missed to configure the GameServer IP as this needs to be done manually in v5 RC version as it's broken from Photon Control. Please do so in "deploy\LoadBalancing\GameServer\bin\GameServer.xml.config".

Check server logs or client logs to know what's happening.

We encourage and recommend using Photon Server v5.

• Hello

Thanks for your quick replies;

This morning have remade all tests and it works. Maybe I've made mistake during mixing combination between SerializationProtocol/Photon Voice version/Photon Server version/IP adresse of server.

For memory,

I can connect old app (Photon Voice 2.10) to Photon Server V4 and V5 without modify the default serialization protocol.

There still an issue, if i try to connect Photon Voice 2.28 to a Photon Server V4 with serialization protocol as 1.6. the voice connection stay in peer creation status other RPC works correctly.

So I think we can close this question.

PS: in Photon server V5, I can't set "Game server IP Config" by selecting an entry. I need to modify manualy config file. Is it normal?

• @JohnTube

You message confirme my tests that have made this morning.

We don't use PhotonVoiceNetwork.AutoConnectAndJoin so that explain surely the peer creation status like i thinking PhotonVoiceNetwork use same serialization protocol as PhotonNetwork.

I will try to force the serialization protocol in PhotonVoiceNetwork.

"Maybe you missed to configure the GameServer IP as this needs to be done manually in v5 RC version as it's broken from Photon Control. Please do so in "deploy\LoadBalancing\GameServer\bin\GameServer.xml.config"."

I use server 5.0.12.24499 but the issue is maybe the same as RC version.

Thanks for all

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

I will try to force the serialization protocol in PhotonVoiceNetwork.

I would do it outside in a separate class to not modify Photon Voice code and lose this in an update.

I use server 5.0.12.24499 but the issue is maybe the same as RC version.

that's the RC version.