About Dedicated Server Integration

[Deleted User]
edited December 2021 in Fusion

We are planning to develop a multiplayer game which would need some sort of networking framework. Currently we are evaluating the possible options including Photon and for the technical requirements of the project we are going to need dedicated server system(s) instead of host-client/relay type of systems.

In the doc it says Fusion has built-in support for the dedicated server method but doesn't describe how. And when I mean how I am not talking about the complex technicality. I simply wonder if we need dedicated servers other than Photon Cloud to upload our headless server builds when we are using Photon Fusion or do we have some option or area to upload these headless builds into the Photon Cloud/Dashboard?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi,

I simply wonder if we need dedicated servers other than Photon Cloud to upload our headless server builds when we are using Photon Fusion or do we have some option or area to upload these headless builds into the Photon Cloud/Dashboard?

Photon Cloud is a middleware service that will facilitate communication between your peers, it is not a hosting service. For this, you will need to use services like PlayFab, Multiplay, Gameye, among others.

While using any of the Photon products, it's mandatory a connection with our Photon Cloud, but the hosting is handled by one of these services.

--

Ramon Melo

Photon Fusion Team

• @ramonmelo , is the direct connection to a self hosted server done through the app settings, or where or what method or calls are needed to use fusion as a server and have a client connect to a known public ip/port?

• Hi @GLucas ,

There is no specific method you need to call to make it happen, just by starting a peer as Server, and by consequence, creating a Game Session, when a Client joins that Session, they will perform the NAT Punch procedure and connect directly most of the time.

You don't need to worry about IP/Port or anything related to this, at least not in normal circumstances.

If you are running a dedicated server on a hosting service, then you will need to set up the firewall of that service to open some ports for communication, but only in cases like this.

We suggest checking out our 101 Series, which will give you a better idea of how to start a Fusion Peer and how the Game Modes work: https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/fusion/current/fusion-100/overview

--

Ramon Melo

Photon Fusion Team

• “While using any of the Photon products, it's mandatory a connection with our Photon Cloud, but the hosting is handled by one of these services.”

If I use the Unity Multiplay hosting service, will Photon Cloud affect the network data transmission speed of the client and server

• Hi @vimrzhang ,

If I use the Unity Multiplay hosting service, will Photon Cloud affect the network data transmission speed of the client and server

The Photon Cloud can be used as a relay point if the connection between your client and server can't be a direct connection, which should be the case only on rare occasions.

Most of the time, your client will just connect directly to your server.

In the case of a relay connection, then yes, you will get a different communication rate between the peers, as the data must bounce on the Photon Cloud first.

--

Ramon Melo

Photon Fusion Team

• Hi @ramonmelo ,

So how do I close the PhotoCloud service?

Like this, set the IP address , and then call runner. StartGame?

• Hi @ramonmelo

The Headless server I published has been hosted in multiplay. When I connected, I found that the parameter Server in the Photon App Setting must write "ns. photonengine. cn" to get the server room.

Shouldn't I write the IP address and port of the multiplay?

In fact, it doesn't work here if I change it to the multiplay port and address

• Hi @vimrzhang ,

The Server field of the PhotonAppSetting is to set up a Custom Photon Cloud Server, which is not supported by Fusion and you should leave it empty.

You don't need to set or modify anything related to this when running your server on Multiplay.

Please read here for more info: https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/fusion/current/technical-samples/dedicated-server/fusion-dedicated-server-multiplay

--

Ramon Melo

Photon Fusion Team

• Hi,@ramonmelo

I set the Server field of the PhotonAppSetting to be empty, it prompts this error

if I set it to ""ns. photonengine. cn", it works well.

• @vimrzhang

Your AppID is restricted to being used on the CN Region, you must fill in the `Fixed Region` field as well.

Take a look here for more info: https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/fusion/current/connection-and-authentication/regions#using_the_chinese_mainland_region

--

Ramon Melo

Photon Fusion Team