Photon Mic Issue on Certain Devices

Hi,

I'm currently using the latest version of Photon Voice 2, my Microphone type set to Photon, and the VAD settings left as default.

The voice sounds perfect on other computers but is extremely choppy on two 2019 Macbook pros. It isn't a hardware issue because the mics work with zoom. Is there something saved in the cache somewhere that could be causing this issue?

Comments

• I have also tried to update my Unity to 2021.2, create a new unity project with Photon Voice 2, and test the demo scene. But, it still has the same issue.

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

Hi @dhishii,

Which VAD are you using? Recorder.VoiceDetection or WebRtcAudioDsp.VAD? the latter is better.

I guess you are on latest Photon Voice 2.28?

Check the app's frame rate.

Does this happen within Editor and in builds?

I would try on Unity LTS releases, that's what we officially support: 2018.4, 2019.4 or 2020.3.

• dhishii
    dhishii
    edited November 2021

Hi @JohnTube

Thank you for getting back to me. I was using the Recorder.VoiceDetection and Photon Voice 2.28. The frame rate was usual and it happened in the editor and build.

It turns out for Macbooks, if all computers are not on the same format, it causes a really bad feedback sound when using the Microphone type: Unity or really choppy with Microphone Type: Photon.

So far all windows based devices worked without any issue (I don't know what settings they had, though)

I don't know how these settings can get changed, but if all the computers are on 44,100, the voice works perfectly. If on any other settings, it sounds really bad. Hopefully this can help someone else in the future.

You can find these settings in the "Audio MIDI Setup".