Forum Spam

Ford
edited January 2012 in Any Topic & Chat
Exit Games y u no get rid of spam topics and install anti-spambot plugins?

Comments

• If you notice the staff is hardly on the forums. Which is why it takes some time before they get rid of the spam or answer questions other users don't know the answer to.
  • We tried some anti-spambot plugins and didn't have much success with those. We will change the questions once more and see how that does.
  • phpbb has some really nice anti-spam mods... I don't see how your having trouble with them.
  • If you got experience with some, please share your knowledge or at least the names of those you used.
  • Lets see the one i used when I was using phpbb was these and had a lot less spam

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/keycaptcha/

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/a ... ification/

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/a ... tion_pack/

The last to I'm not sure how good those will work sense I hardly see any staff on the forums daily. Then again I may just becoming on at the wrong times. I'd start with all three and deffently use the first one i linked. Most of the registration is through spam bots that auto fill things in. If you have something they can't auto fill in then its easier. Also make questions so easy auto fills don't work. I have a question like what is green? You'd be supprised how many less spam posts I got from just adding a very simple question. You could also have multiple questions. That one you'd have to edit phpbb your self.

For me I use vBulletin now a days and hardly get any spam.
  • Thanks for the feedback!
    I configured questions a while ago and thought we still use those but some installation (or someone) turned our questions off, using the captcha (which notoriously get hacked)...

It's back to questions for the time being.
  • Keycaptcha is a lot better than the regular captcha. Its what i use on my site instead of the regular captcha.
  • I suggest to migrate the forum to mybb, it's free and a lot better than phpbb, I think there is a tool to conserve all data.
  • marf: myBB is also my personal favorite :)
    We won't change in the close future, though.

I removed some math questions which were obviously weaker. It's much better now than last week. The rest will be "one click banned" on demand.
    Keycaptche is an option we will keep in mind, thanks!
  • Tobias wrote:
    marf: myBB is also my personal favorite :)
    We won't change in the close future, though.

I removed some math questions which were obviously weaker

Spamming doesn't depend on forum engine (platform) or strongness/weakness of questions but on interest of a spammer in particular resource.
    If spammer has an interest or even direct client who ordered your forum specifically, he would break it by spambot or without, with the use of compromised computers or without.

There is no silver bullet to serve once and forever.
    The answers to questions are answered by human operator and put to database of spambot and a spambot be used further on. So, the protection is not in complexity but in periodic changes of questions (and answers, resp.)
    Keycaptcha is a lot better than the regular captcha. Its what i use on my site instead of the regular captcha
    It is better for self-deceiving because KeyCAPCTHA blocks spamming webresource (forum, blog, etc.) in exchange for loading spam directly to browsers of visitors which the owners of protected resource cannot control or even see. KeyCAPTCHA developers are professional spammers what they do not even hide. KeyCAPTCHA "businessmen" use various tricks to hide their spamming:
    • do not spam when there are no advertisers for specific resource, region of users (using geo-targetting) or in order to accumulate the "client" base, etc.
    • convince the owners of webresources that they can choose no-advertising option while offer to advertisers to deliver advertising to the users from whole networks of "protected" websites (just consult keycaptcha.com website to check this)
    • operate from Russia, presenting themselves as US-based Mersane company proposing to resolve disputes under the jurisdiction of Seychelles Islands
    • etc.

Gennady
    Sued by my ex-Employer KeyCAPTCHA.com Under Criminal Charges of Extorting my Salary
    (caught red-handed by police during the receipt of my salary)
  • I dont believe on word of what you stated about KeyCaptcha. I've used their services for years with out any problems nor any evidence that it is ran by spammers. You have your own view and I have my own view. Enjoy the day.
  • MyBB is better than PhpBB in fact of security...
  • I dont believe on word of what you stated about KeyCaptcha. I've used their services for years with out any problems nor any evidence that it is ran by spammers. You have your own view and I have my own view. Enjoy the day.

Thank you for your trust.

Dear Visitors,

The person ("My 2 cents") spreading a slander and a lie regarding the KeyCAPTCHA Service uses different nicknames on different web resources.
    He thinks up his new slander and lie from time to time.

This person extorted money from our employee. And he had been caught by the police when he was taking the money.
    This person alleges that he had been our employee. But it is the lie.
    We are not going to conceal that he assisted us in supporting our twitter account.
    But after the numerous reprimands regarding the quality of his messages on our twitter, we had fulfilled all our obligations to this person and renounced his assistance.
    But he has never been an employee of our company.
    We just had a verbal agreement with this person.

Here are a couple of facts regarding his slander:
    The Twitter support team had blocked his 3 accounts of his slander and lie on the KeyCAPTCHA Service right after our request and his 2 accounts without our requests.
    Scam.com support team has blocked his 2 accounts of the same lie.

We would appreciate if you send us URLs of pages with his slander and without this reply.

We are not going to reply to his future messages on this website. It is not our goal.
    We just wanted to publish the facts regarding this person.

Please be careful when reading information from this person.

Our service and company are absolutely legal.

Here are the variants of using KeyCAPTCHA:

1. You earn money by using KeyCAPTCHA. In this case, we pay you for ads in KeyCAPTCHA on your website.
    2. You pay us for personal CAPTCHAs. In this case, you can use your own images to create your own CAPTCHAs (containing your or third-party advertisement or without any ads) which will be displayed on your websites.
    3. Combination of 1 and 2.
    4. Free KeyCAPTCHA. In this case, you don't earn money, and you don't pay us. If you choose this way, we will display our standard CAPTCHAs (without any ads) on your websites.

We appreciate your understanding and sorry for the inconvenience,
    KeyCAPTCHA Team
  • Sorry guys, this discussion is very off topic. This is a support forum about Photon and not the right place to blame one or the other.
    This thread (and the topic) is closed. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.