Some questions about Photon

Options
Hi,

I'm looking at implementing Photon in our latest title, a racing game.
Although I have a few questions...

1.) If a few players on a LAN play, does all traffic get sent via the Photon cloud?
2.) Where is the Photon cloud? i.e where are the servers hosted?
3.) I assume since its using the cloud, if any of those LAN players didn't have internet access, they would be disconnected from the game?

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    1) Yes. All communication (between any clients) goes through Photon.
    2) Currently we use Leaseweb. It might change and we might add servers in more regions.
    3) They wouldn't even connect to the cloud, yes.

For lan games, you would have to host Photon in the same lan. Almost any windows machine with Dotnet 3.5+ runtime would be fitting for that. But there is no "discovery" service for lan.
  • Thanks for the reply.

If I added my own server, say in South Africa. Would that server be added to the cloud, and only people in that region connect to that server. And if people were in other regions playing my game would they connect to other cloud servers?
  • dreamora
    Options
    You can't add servers to the cloud nor do you have any access to them other than connection to them through the photon cloud libraries.

If you host your own server (which you would do if you decide where they are etc) then you would have to develop a layer that makes your client choose your or the cloud (and naturally pay on both ends) depending on the location.
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    dreamora wrote:
    You can't add servers to the cloud nor do you have any access to them other than connection to them through the photon cloud libraries.

If you host your own server (which you would do if you decide where they are etc) then you would have to develop a layer that makes your client choose your or the cloud (and naturally pay on both ends) depending on the location.
    Or you would just use you own hardware for running Photon on it, exclusively without mixing it with the cloud, which saves you the work of developing such a layer.