PhotonVoiceNetwork DontDestroyOnLoad Error

Options
I am using PUN 2 and Photon Voice 2. My game has a cycle of Lobby -> Game Scene -> Lobby, assuming the master client at least remains connected.

I am using PhotonVoiceNetwork with the built-in DontDestroyOnLoad as recommended here:
https://doc.photonengine.com/en-US/voice/current/getting-started/voice-for-pun

Photon Voice works fine both in the lobby and the game scene, however when I return to the Lobby I get this error:

[PhotonVoiceNetwork.PhotonVoiceNetwork] 2021-08-23T10:30:43:An instance of PhotonVoiceNetwork is already set. Destroying extra instance.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogErrorFormat (UnityEngine.Object,string,object[])
Photon.Voice.Unity.VoiceLogger:LogError (string,object[]) (at Assets/Photon/PhotonVoice/Code/VoiceLogger.cs:67)
Photon.Voice.PUN.PhotonVoiceNetwork:set_Instance (Photon.Voice.PUN.PhotonVoiceNetwork) (at Assets/Photon/PhotonVoice/Code/PUN/PhotonVoiceNetwork.cs:151)
Photon.Voice.PUN.PhotonVoiceNetwork:Awake () (at Assets/Photon/PhotonVoice/Code/PUN/PhotonVoiceNetwork.cs:238)

It looks like this should be normal Unity singleton behaviour - the new version gets destroyed, the old one continues. So why is it generating an error? Is there something else I have to do to make this safe? Or do I have to implement my own singleton scheme to get this to work?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Malcolm,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Here are the options:

1. ignore the error (optionally comment out error log call or change its logging level)
    2. load scenes additively to avoid reloading same scene that contains PhotonVoiceNetwork marked w/ DDOL
    3. add PhotonVoiceNetwork to a prefab and remove it from the scene, instead, instantiate it as prefab as soon as game starts and once per game session.
  • Malcolm
    Options
    Thanks,

I tried number 3 but it appears that Photon Voice creates a default PhotonVoiceNetwork if there is none in the scene. I guess this is sensible but then I can't use my prefab to set things up the way I want.

I guess I will comment out the error, then I will have to do the same if I update Photon Voice. I hope I remember this :-)
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Malcolm,

Then it's probably a timing/race condition issue: you're using PhotonVoiceNetwork in code before instantiating the prefab with the singleton instance.

In any case, this issue is not harmful.