is this viable for use of photon? should a game server connect directly or via api?

is this a secure way to use photon?
i'm planning on creating a game the game handles has a masterclient on a hosting site running unity3d with photon that is server sided.
now my question is should i just link it to an api instead of letting a server sided instance of unity connect to a database directly?

basically like this
Unity Instance Server side>API>Database
or
do it directly
Unity Instance Server sided>Database

Comments

• hi, @nitrox

From our side we do not limit you. At first glance it looks like it is better when our server instance directly connects to DB

best,
    ilya
  • chvetsov wrote: »
    hi, @nitrox

From our side we do not limit you. At first glance it looks like it is better when our server instance directly connects to DB

best,
    ilya

i'm trying to see if it can be justified to use photon without layering it over an api with firewall is photon handling unwanted strings
  • @nitrox
    photon works only on protocols that you specified.
    once someone connects to opened port it should send data in correct format to be able to connect to photon. That is what we can do.

Once data passed our correctness checks your application should do its own checks - security keys, data correctness and so on. We can not help here

best,
    ilya