Tutorial

I am trying to follow along with this tutorial series (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jgyxUQ7sLw&list=PLtmjQrrD9nz5f72h11jDKGldllFpM-uw-&index=11) and it seems to be very outdated. I can't seem to find any good examples on how to create a Photon Server using the latest api. I need a photon server that has database connections that many options don't support. Can anyone give information to get started to create a Socket Server application?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @KebbieG,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Unfortunately there is no tutorial for Photon Server.

If you are OK with NameServer + LoadBalancing server applications architecture (the way Photon Cloud works, room based etc.) you can extend it and add database from Game Server plugin and optionally using HTTP if the database is on another server or to communicate.
    Or simply extend LoadBalancing application and not start from scratch.
  • @JohnTube I think I am getting there. The one thing I can't find is where do I get ExitGames Logging? I don't see it in the Server SDK and it isn't in the NugetPackage solution.
  • KebbieG
    KebbieG
    edited June 2021
    @JohnTube when trying to start my server I get this error:

16880: 13:53:01.397 - CService::OnException() - Exception: CManagedHost::StartApplication() - Failed to start application in AppDomain: 2 - The system cannot find the file specified.

2021-06-30 13:51:15,233 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - CreateAppDomain: name = 'TestServer' , assemblyName = 'PhotonServer'
    2021-06-30 13:51:16,608 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - ApplicationBase = 'C:\Users\user\Documents\Photon Server SDK\deploy'
    2021-06-30 13:51:16,611 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - PrivateBinPath = 'bin_Win64;Shared;C:\Users\user\Documents\Photon Server SDK\deploy\TestServer\bin;'
    2021-06-30 13:51:16,613 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - ConfigurationFile = ''
    2021-06-30 13:51:16,615 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - CachePath = ''
    2021-06-30 13:51:16,690 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - ApplicationPath = 'C:\Users\user\Documents\Photon Server SDK\deploy\TestServer'
    2021-06-30 13:51:16,693 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - BinaryPath = 'C:\Users\user\Documents\Photon Server SDK\deploy\TestServer\bin'
    2021-06-30 13:51:16,696 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - ApplicationRootPath = 'C:\Users\user\Documents\Photon Server SDK\deploy'
    2021-06-30 13:51:16,700 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - UnmanagedLogPath = 'C:\Users\user\Documents\Photon Server SDK\deploy\bin_Win64\log'

Does the latest version of PhotonServer SDK not work with .Net 5 Core? I am trying to use only .Net 5 going forward. I noticed there is no CachePath and ConfigurationFile. With .net 5 there is no TestServer.xml in the ouput folder. I have to rename my .net5 folder to bin to work around this.
  • hi, @KebbieG we did not test with .net 5. it is officially not supported yet
    use .netframework 4.x

best,
    ilya
  • KebbieG
    KebbieG
    edited July 2021
    @chvetsov How long till it is supported? I can't go to Framework 4.x. There is to much of my code that depends on the latest framework. So I am stuck in limbo until it is supported. I have a website and a mobile application to provide the data for the video game/photon server. There is many libraries shared between them.
  • hi, @KebbieG
    there is no any estimation about that support.
    In mean time, I would try to start what you have. Currently error does not look like unresolvable.

use this tool to see what file was not found: https://github.com/awaescher/Fusion/releases/tag/v1.4
    may be in the end we will be able to start

best,
    ilya