namespace errors when others pull my project from git

Hello!

I've developed a minimalistic VR chatroom application using PUN 2 and Photon Voice 2. It works when I hit play on my device and run it on an oculus quest. I'd like to share this with other developers over git. When they pull they get a lot of namespace errors in the photon voice scripts. Scripts like voice component aren't recognised by their Unity at all. Even after deleting all Photon files and reimporting them via the asset store it doesn't change the errors.

I'm developing on MacOS and they are on Windows. We usually don't have any problems because of this though.

We've tried to delete the .meta files of the scripts which their Unity isn't detecting and that seemed to help detect that script again. Does my .gitignore need to ignore .meta files of scripts as well? We don't have any issues with scripts created by ourselves.
# This .gitignore file should be placed at the root of your Unity project directory
#
# Get latest from https://github.com/github/gitignore/blob/master/Unity.gitignore
#
/[Ll]ibrary/
/[Tt]emp/
/[Oo]bj/
/[Bb]uild/
/[Bb]uilds/
/[Ll]ogs/
/[Uu]ser[Ss]ettings/

# MemoryCaptures can get excessive in size.
# They also could contain extremely sensitive data
/[Mm]emoryCaptures/

# Asset meta data should only be ignored when the corresponding asset is also ignored
!/[Aa]ssets/**/*.meta

# Uncomment this line if you wish to ignore the asset store tools plugin
# /[Aa]ssets/AssetStoreTools*

# Autogenerated Jetbrains Rider plugin
/[Aa]ssets/Plugins/Editor/JetBrains*

# Visual Studio cache directory
.vs/

# Gradle cache directory
.gradle/

# Autogenerated VS/MD/Consulo solution and project files
ExportedObj/
.consulo/
*.csproj
*.unityproj
*.sln
*.suo
*.tmp
*.user
*.userprefs
*.pidb
*.booproj
*.svd
*.pdb
*.mdb
*.opendb
*.VC.db

# Unity3D generated meta files
*.pidb.meta
*.pdb.meta
*.mdb.meta

# Unity3D generated file on crash reports
sysinfo.txt

# Builds
*.apk
*.aab
*.unitypackage

# Crashlytics generated file
crashlytics-build.properties

# Packed Addressables
/[Aa]ssets/[Aa]ddressable[Aa]ssets[Dd]ata/*/*.bin*

# Temporary auto-generated Android Assets
/[Aa]ssets/[Ss]treamingAssets/aa.meta
/[Aa]ssets/[Ss]

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @apalatnik,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Make sure you are using the same Unity version.
    It could also be an issue in Visual Studio or Visual Code integration.
    Not sure where you get those namespace errors, in Unity Editor itself or in the IDE.

Otherwise I don't really see any issue in Photon assets related to git.
    In general, unrelated to this issue or any other issue but version control system guidelines for our products:
    If your repository is private keep Photon folder in.
    If your repository is public, I would ignore Photon from the repo and tell every contributor to just import Photon Voice from the asset store separately and make sure to do it at the same time to download the same version.
    I'm developing on MacOS and they are on Windows.
    maybe it's a problem of EndOfLine characters somehow?
    see here.
    We've tried to delete the .meta files of the scripts which their Unity isn't detecting and that seemed to help detect that script again. Does my .gitignore need to ignore .meta files of scripts as well?
    Not sure which scripts or which .meta files are you referring to but meta files need to be there for all existing assets files and folders.
  • Thank you for the quick reply, we will be looking into it and I'll leave an update here.
  • .NET was either not installed or broken, installing / repairing fixed the issues