Problem connecting to Photon Server from iOS app

Hi,

I noticed that recently my iOS app can not connect to Photon server. When I enabled the logs, I saw the following error message:
020-12-08 23:41:32,489832 ERROR   EGLoadBalancingClient.mm       -[EGLoadBalancingClient onOperationResponse:]                881   OperationResponse - operationCode: 226, returnCode: -3 (Not authorized) {}
2020-12-08 23:41:32,490123 ERROR   EGLoadBalancingClient.mm       -[EGLoadBalancingClient onOperationResponse:]                999   
2020-12-08 23:41:33,289103 ERROR   EGLoadBalancingClient.mm       -[EGLoadBalancingClient onConnectToMasterFinished:]          1697  unexpected cached join type value

Any idea what could be causing this error? How should I proceed after I receive this error message?

Thank you

Comments

• Hi @Vasilis.

This is definitely not an error that should happen in normal flow and handled at runtime. Rather it looks like there is something wrong in you setup.

Did you change anything recently? Could you try if you can reproduce this with older versions of your app?
    Can you reproduce this with our demos?
    Did you update anything on the server side?
    Are you connecting to Photon Cloud or to a self-hosted Photon Server instance?
  • Vasilis
    Vasilis
    edited December 2020
    Hi @Kaiserludi,

no, I have not changed anything in the app. The only thing that I did change was the value of the app version. Now, the app version is not a number, i.e. "1.0" but a string "aqswdefr".
    Could this be the source of this error? If yes, does this mean that there is a limit in the length of the app version?
    Thank you
  • But then again, if the app version is issue, why don't I have this problem in the web version?
  • I believe that I get this error message after I terminate the app and then start it again. But, not all the times
    Now, I see this error
    ERROR   EGLoadBalancingClient.mm       -[EGLoadBalancingClient onConnectToMasterFinished:]          1697  unexpected cached join type value

• Could it be possible that there is some kind of interference from an ad network?
  • Hi @Vasilis.

The value of the appVersion certainly can't cause this.

The value of the appVersion can be any string, as long as it is not bigger than 32767 characters and consists of valid unicode characters.
    In practice though I would recommend to keep the length of the string below lets say 100 or so characters to avoid unnecessary traffic.

"aqswdefr" is just 8 characters, so this is certainly not too long. I know of apps with version strings longer than that.
    Could it be possible that there is some kind of interference from an ad network?
    Hard to say without knowing how exactly that ad framework is interacting with you code, but if you think that there might be a chance for interference, then simply make a copy of your project in which you temporarily out-comment all code related to that ad framework and see if that makes a difference.

What about my other questions?
    Could you try if you can reproduce this with older versions of your app?
    Can you reproduce this with our demos?
    Did you update anything on the server side?
    Are you connecting to Photon Cloud or to a self-hosted Photon Server instance?
  • Hi @Kaiserludi,

Last night, I did several tests, and I do not have a clear pattern of this issue. More importantly, I was not able to reproduce this issue most of the times that I tried. I believe that if I get an error message from your server, by app will try to reconnect. If I kill the app, and try to connect again, I think that I won't be able to connect. But, once again, I am not 100% certain that this is the case.
    I have not tried to reproduce it with your demos. Mainly, because I do not know how to reproduce it
    No, I have not changed anything on the server
    I am connecting to your Photon Cloud.

At a given instance, I disconnect from the server, I destroy the instance of the EGLoadBalancingClient object, and then I create a new one. That new one uses a different app version. Could this be the reason? But, again, I do not always see these error messages

Thank you
  • Hi @Vasilis.
    At a given instance, I disconnect from the server, I destroy the instance of the EGLoadBalancingClient object, and then I create a new one. That new one uses a different app version. Could this be the reason?
    This is fine and should not cause the observed behavior.
    I am connecting to your Photon Cloud.
    In that case you could create a new appID in you dashboard, don't configure anything for it and check if it also happens with that appID. That way you could check if it might be caused by some configuration issue in your appID.
    I don't have much hope that it will behave differently with a different appID, but as it can be tested quickly and 20CCU apps are free, it's worth a try.