Public IP doesn't work

Hi, please help me connect to the game with public IP. I can connect with local IP alright, with cloud too, but I searched far and wide for clues on how to configure public IP, but everywhere is just bits of different information, all contradicting one another. So I am now confused. Here are the steps I had made:

1. in photon control application, I have set my ip to be public IP (tried both static and autoconnect)
2. in Unity server settings, I have set the static public IP in the "Server" slot, port is 5055 and name server is off
3. In my router settings (MikroTik) I have created port forwarding from my public IP to my local computer IP with ports 5055 and 5056.
4. firewall is off

I can't even make a scratch connecting to the server. Can't even get to the master server. Can anybody tell me what the problem is? Maybe i do portforwarding incorrectly?

Comments

• hi, @Thomukas1

we can not help you with your router setup. AFIK, MikroTik is quite advanced router and you should be able to setup it correctly to forward ports.

just start with small steps. try to use Telnet to see whether port is accessible. In such a way you will exclude wrong photon setup. once telnet manages to establish connection, try photon

best,
    ilya
  • Thank you for a response. Can you at least confirm that I am doing everything correcly on photon/unity part and this is a portforwarding issue?
  • hi, @Thomukas1

yes, it looks fine

best,
    ilya
  • Mister_X
    Mister_X
    edited November 2020
    Hello!
    For me, the public IP doesn't work either, but the private one does. If I run the test client in PhotonControl under LoadBalancing, the following error occurs even with a StartupInterval of 15,000: OnOperationReturn: JoinGame failed: ReturnCode: 32758 (Game does not exists). Disconnecting ... I also set up port forwarding via 5055 and 5056 (UDP) in the settings of my router. In addition, with Telnet I can connect to any port (from https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/server/v4/operations/tcp-and-udp-port-numbers) except 5055 and 5056.
    Does anyone have any ideas how I can solve the problem? thank you in advance
  • hi, @Mister_X

everything is fine with your client. The fact that you get error says that you were able to connect and server sent you response.

this error message is known issue. when few clients start at same time one that have to create game does this later than those who have to join game. This can be fixed by increasing of start up interval in client settings

best,
    ilya
  • Mister_X
    Mister_X
    edited November 2020

Hello everyone!
    Thanks for help but -

• I even tested an interval of 60,000 - same problem.
    • By the way, I've also heard that I'm not even allowed to use the free version of Photon Server commercially on my own device. I was really shocked after all that work with Unity. I would never cover the cost of a paid license for Photon Server with my program. So, unfortunately, photon doesn't make any sense to me in this form. Sorry

best
    Mister_X :smile: