Will game end if the server client quit with dedicated server?

Options
If we use Bolt with Photon cloud, when the server client(master) quits, the game ends. I heard that we can use Bolt with your own dedicated server. In this case, will the game end when the server client quits?

Comments

• DirtyHippy
    Options
    A dedicated server doesn't run with an in-process server player. That's the entire point of it being a dedicated server. So yes, you can run fully dedicated servers with Bolt.
  • SPF
    Options
    DirtyHippy wrote: »
    A dedicated server doesn't run with an in-process server player. That's the entire point of it being a dedicated server. So yes, you can run fully dedicated servers with Bolt.

Thank you for your reply, but I don't quite understand what you mean by "in-process server player". Is there a tutorial on how to write the dedicated server side program using Bolt? Because in my understanding a "dedicated server" is a headless server(physical or virtual one that I can rent from say Amazon AWS). And usually you run a server side program without graphics to provide the game services.
  • ramonmelo
    Options
    Hello @SPF ,
    Is there a tutorial on how to write the dedicated server side program using Bolt?

- Bolt Headless Server: https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/bolt/current/demos-and-tutorials/headless-server
    - Hosting on Gameye: https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/bolt/current/demos-and-tutorials/gameye
    Because in my understanding a "dedicated server" is a headless server(physical or virtual one that I can rent from say Amazon AWS). And usually you run a server side program without graphics to provide the game services.

Yes, you are right. A dedicated server is just an executable that will run as a server when started, publish a game session, and wait for players.

--
    Ramon Melo
    Photon Bolt Team
  • SPF
    Options
    @ramonmelo Thank you! I was just about to reply that I've just found these tutorials. I'll look into them. Bolt is amazing, wish I had known it years ago :)