Which of the Photon products (Bolt | PUN) are better to go with a Server which does the work?

Options
Hello all,

so i think my questions itself wasn't rly understandable (maybe).

Im currently programming a 1v1 matchmaking game and i did some researches about the Photon products aspecially PUN and Bolt.

My plan is to let a Server do the work between 2 Players so that no one of both has to host or create a lobby (because of ping / not creating a room. -> find another enemy itself etc.).

Just like Clash Royal where you press "Find match" and the Player on the other side does the same so you get matched and fight each other.

I know im really new into this but pumped and ready to get into this!

Thanks in advance!
Unravel

Best Answer

• stanchion
    stanchion mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The concept of a "server" is limited in the PUN context, Bolt is "server client networking.
    You can make a 1v1 multiplayer game with any of the above, the difference is whether you want to manage servers, have server authority, level of networking fidelity, and development time.

For a game where the entire input is just "Use X in location Y" lockstep networking would probably be the easiest approach (ie Quantum)

Answers

• Manhiem
    Options
    I prefer using BOLT as it has a lot options to use as compared to PUN. Bolt is totally dedicated to multiplayer and is also a bit easier to understand and applicable.

But what you actually want to achieve as written in the question, both of them can do your job.
    Hope you find this useful.
    ;)
  • stanchion
    stanchion mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The concept of a "server" is limited in the PUN context, Bolt is "server client networking.
    You can make a 1v1 multiplayer game with any of the above, the difference is whether you want to manage servers, have server authority, level of networking fidelity, and development time.

For a game where the entire input is just "Use X in location Y" lockstep networking would probably be the easiest approach (ie Quantum)