Can players make their own computer Host?

Hi,
Im use PUN service and i have high ping and latency problem.
So I want to use the self-hosted service but there is something I don't understand.

Can players make their own computer Host?

Comments

• hi, @Hunel

NO, they do not

best,
    ilya
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Hunel,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

In Photon there is host concept.
    There are dedicated servers that all clients connect to.
    There is a master client, however, but it's different.

So for better latency you may that all your clients can connect to.
  • Thanks for the answer @chvetsov and @JohnTube
    I have a few more questions

*If I rent a VDS server, can I run the Self-hosted service on the vds server?

if i can

*What should I look for when renting a vds server? ram,core,port connection...(for max 100 players)
    *Can I use both pun and photon server services at the same time?(
    for ex. Self-hosted service will be used if the player lives in the area I have chosen.
    If the player lives in Tokyo or Amsterdam, pun service will be used.
    )
  • hi, @Hunel
    >If I rent a VDS server, can I run the Self-hosted service on the vds server?
    if you are going to host only 100 players then machine can be very cheap. Two cores, 4-8 Gb. But please test.

Part about PUN is for @JohnTube

best,
    ilya

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Hunel,
    Can I use both pun and photon server services at the same time?(
    for ex. Self-hosted service will be used if the player lives in the area I have chosen.
    If the player lives in Tokyo or Amsterdam, pun service will be used.
    )

Yes this is possible but you will need to calculate or get ping values from the client first and then switch from your own code: so you need to connect to all cloud regions you have configured + your self hosted server(s) and compare ping values then decide to which "server" to connect.
    Or you could have a ping interval of accepted values and if initial server(s) you connect to are within that range no need to switch?
    and maybe for subsequent connections attempts save preference and directly connect to "best"/"preferred" server unless the ping values becomes bad, in this case repeat initial process of best server discovery.

there is also an option to go Enterprise customer with us and we add regions for you?
    this should be costly I guess but I wanted to mention it.
  • I rented a vds server,Photon Control is working properly and
    I can use pun service and self-hosted service at the same time

Thanks!! @chvetsov , @JohnTube