Multiple Unity Projects - Same App ID

Hello, I'm working on a project across two different devices, iPhone and Oculus Quest. The Iphone collects data and sends it across the network to the oculus quest app.

My question is, can this be done in Photon? They're separate projects and share almost nothing between them. (Code wise) I read that sending/receiving of data needed to be handled within the same script and wondered if it would work between two separate apps.

Best Answer

Answers

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Mobiius,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

I think this is not allowed by Photon License/ToS.
    My colleague @Markus can confirm.
  • Thanks, but aside from the TOS, it should work without issue?
    I don't want to spend time implementing it if it won't work?

:)
  • Kaiserludi
    Kaiserludi admin
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Mobiius.

Yes, your usecase is not only allowed by the TOS, but also technically working perfectly.
    Conditions that need to be met:
    - When using Photon Cloud, then both clients need to use the same appID.
    - When using Photon Cloud, then both clients need to use the exact same appVersion string. In the case of PUN this means that both, the gameVersion string and the used version of PUN must be exact matches. In terms of mixing PUN and Photon Realtime Clients this means that in the Photon Realtime Client you need to include the PUN version in the appVersion string in your code like explained at https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/pun/current/reference/glossary#appversion.
    - Both clients need to connect to the same Photon Cloud regions or to the same self hosted Photon Server cluster.
  • I have exactly the same requirement as Mobius. I have 2 unique Unity apps that need to communicate to each other using Photon.

I can understand why the 2 connecting apps should have the same AppID, game version and PUN version. But why the same cloud regions? It is a bit hard to control the regions and the 2 apps may be used by people who are in different parts of the world. Even the 2 machines sitting on my desk are connecting to 2 different regions (one to kr and one to asia).

Is there anything else that I can do? Thanks!
  • Clients connected to different regions simply cannot communicate to one another.
    https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/realtime/current/connection-and-authentication/regions
  • Understood. Thank you!