How to deal with large messages ?

Hello,

I'm working on a game that can send large files to other users (saves, battle report, etc...). I had to slow the send of messages to not overflow the server. Right now the largest message send was a battle report of >10Mb, which with the server transit limit of 256kb/s take about 1 minutes to send. It's 1 minute in which the player cannot do anything as we need the message to be ordered.

Is there a solution other than photon public cloud that could have a higher transit limit ?
Is there a solution like per room shared cloud space to share large files ?

Comments

• Hi @benjaml.

As I have mentioned in your other thread, the transmit rate limit is only relevant for UDP. As your are using TCP, it should not affect you.

With UDP you can send messages that do not depend on each other on different channels. A message on channel X does not block a message on channel Y. Obviously that is only an option for messages for which your game logic does not require message A to be arrive before message B.

That set aside we strongly discourage misusing Photon as a file transfer server. This is not what it had been built for and hence it is not well suited for this purpose.

If you need to transfer files like save games, etc., then you should connect to a separate HTTP server and transmit them there instead of through Photon. This is especially true if you use the public cloud and want to transfer files that are multiple MB in size.
  • Hi @Kaiserludi

Right now I do get disconnection if I try to send more than 256kb/s using TCP. We will investigate the HTTP server option.
  • Hi @benjaml.
    benjaml wrote: »
    Right now I do get disconnection if I try to send more than 256kb/s using TCP. We will investigate the HTTP server option.
    Even when you make sure that you stay below the 500kb message size limit?
  • Hi @Kaiserludi

What is this 500kb limit ?