Missing Oculus Avatar SDK Documentation

Hey,

the Oculus Avatar SD Documentation was removed (see https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/thunder/current/reference/docchangelogs). Is there any possibility to retrieve the documentation back? And what kind of issues were it?

Best regards
JaVo

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JaVo,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

The removed page was a specific tutorial on using Oculus Avatar SDK.
    Specifically how to use manual instantiation to instantiate local & remote avatars accordingly.

It also pointed to some hints about serialization & timing issues for synchronizing those avatars.

The page was not meant to be a full blown step by step tutorial.
    It also assumes some perquisites or some prior knowledge about Oculus Avatar SDK or PUN.

Since Oculus Avatar SDK keeps changing and customers face different issues depending on their experience and know-how levels, we decided to take down the page for the time being as maintaining it became a headache.

We rely on our community to help each other for the time being.
    The VR team is super busy & focused heavily on other projects.

Thank you for your understanding and your cooperation.
  • This is pretty much unacceptable.

I get that the SDK keeps changing, and you cannot be expected to keep it up to date (of course it would be in your interests to do so), but having something is clearly way better than nothing. You could easily mark the tutorial as "for SDK version X". Forum posts are all we have now, and those are way more likely to be out of date (or incomplete) than a tutorial.

I am new to Photon networking, and using it exclusively for a VR project. I am now wondering if maybe I chose the wrong technology.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @marting,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

We tried to update the contents of that page many times.
    In fact we did and tried our best to improve it and address all issues raised on the forums.

However, the situation did not get any better and confusion is still there.
    Before taking the page down we took other measures: hiding the page from the navigation sidebar, adding a disclaimer on top that it's still pending changes or work in progress.
    It did not help.

Some of us can also be frustrated when we can't help you or don't give you what you expect.
    We are working at best efforts.
    having something is clearly way better than nothing
    Not everyone agrees with this.
    Some may expect "something" to be "perfect", "self-contained" and working out of the box in all conditions/situations.
  • What you have right now is a 404. Searching google for how to use Photon with Oculus finds that page.

Since broken/incomplete code is clearly more acceptable on the forums than in your documentation, would you be so kind as to post the previous contents of that tutorial on the forums, then? Either here, or somewhere else, and let me know where?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    here (PUN 2) (any markdown reader can help you with the format)