PUN2 compatible to Photon On Premise Server?

Hello,

I'm new to using Photon. First I learned to use PUN2. My Game needs some server side cheat protection, so I decided to host my own server to validate some of the game data the clients are sending.

Most of it seems to work fine, but now I reached a point where I'm not sure anymore if the Server SDK Photon offers is compatible to PUN2 client logic.

It started with a simple bug in my game. The player names won't show. I tried to track it down, but couldn't find the root, because I think there is not much you can do wrong in getting the names.
Then I tried the demo projects that come with PUN2. I used the Demo Asteroids.
When using it via cloud services everything worked as expected. Playernames showed as they should.
But if I connect to my local server instead of connecting to the cloud server the demo game has the exact same bug as my game (player names not showing).

I tried Server SDK v4.0.29.11263
I tried both downloads that are offered on the website (Plugin and Server)
I did not change anything on server side and disabled all plugins I wrote myself. I even tried it with a clean install.

I mean, it is not serious and I can easily write my own code for Name Management in a server plugin. But it got me thinking. What if the name is not the only thing that works different from the cloud hosted version? It might cause problems in the future. That's why I started this topic. What's your experience? Can I use my own server with PUN2 or should i use something else for client side logic?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi @Sree,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

There are known issues with Photon Server SDK v4.0.29.11263.
    We try to list them all here until a newer version is released.

During authentication, Photon Server (v4.0.29.11263) will return a null Nickname that will override the local Nickname value.
    As a workaround, you could set a Nickname after being connected.
    This value will be used inside rooms and can be changed (and synchronized) later.

I will add this to the list of known issues.

What if the name is not the only thing that works different from the cloud hosted version? It might cause problems in the future. That's why I started this topic. What's your experience? Can I use my own server with PUN2 or should i use something else for client side logic?
    If you encounter more issues, send us an email to developer@photonengine.com and tell us about your project and how you plan to use Photon Server.
  • Thank you for the fast answer.

OK, that means that I can continue to use PUN2 on client side. I will use the workaround you propose and will contact you later if I find another issue.