Selecting the region

Hi,

I was thinkg of letting the Loadbalancer pick the proper region to connect to. But, then I read this

"Each region is completely separate from the others and consists of a Master Server (for matchmaking) and Game Servers (hosting rooms)."

This means that if a user is connected in the "us" and the otner in the "eu" region, they won't be able to play against each other. Is this correct? If yes, I need to connect all users to the same region.

Thank you

Comments

• Kaiserludi
    Kaiserludi admin
    edited October 2019
    Hi @Vasilis.

Yes, this is correct.

When you think about it, it does not make any sense otherwise:
    If your game is that latency-critical that it is not acceptable for a player in Europe to connect to the US-servers and vice versa, then it is also that latency-critical that it won't make sense for players from Europe to play against players from the US and vice versa. The geographic distance between the two clients on different continents does not magically disappear just because each one connects to a server on its own continent: Messages would still need to be transferred from one continent to the other one between the two regions. Hence cross-region play makes no sense.
    Either connect all players to the nearest available region and only let them play against other player, who are also connected to that region (you might want to reduce the amount of available regions in your dashboard when your player pool in some regions of the world is just too small) or let all players world-wide connect to the same region.
    Which one is preferable for your game depends on how good it can cope with sub-optimal latency and on how big your player base is (if you don't have many players, then it might be preferable for your players to play on a more far away server, than to have next to no other players on the same servers).
  • Hi @Kaiserludi ,

I have players from all over the world. Most of them are from the Europe. So, I think that I will connect to the European server.
    I did discover something interesting. While I am testing the code, I am trying to interact my device with the simulator. If the device is connect to the internet via 4G, those two players can not interact. Does this mean that each device is connected to a different region?
  • @Vasilis:
    It is possible.
    You can verify that by simply connecting both devices to the same region instead of using the best region mode, to see, if they can see each other then.
  • Hi @Kaiserludi,

I set the region in the whitelist. Everything is fine now
    Thank you