Overhead of a huge string as room property?

So I am using a custom room property to store a level description string. (This is for steam workshop levels.)

Potentially, the description on Steam can be 8K characters. My question is, would an 8K string property cause any significant overhead?

Also, I'm guessing when a custom room property is changed, ONLY THAT property is transmitted? If that's not the case, I suppose I could send description through an RPC.

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments

• Reason why I'm nervous about this is according to : https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/server/v3/reference/matchmaking-and-lobby

"Keep the list short to make sure your clients performance doesn't suffer from loading the list."

Not sure if this means the list itself, or both the list and its contents.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @sah1234,

So I am using a custom room property to store a level description string. (This is for steam workshop levels.)

Potentially, the description on Steam can be 8K characters. My question is, would an 8K string property cause any significant overhead?
    Yes. It can cause significant overhead in traffic usage (overages may cost money) but also performance. It may cause delays or even disconnects.

The use case you mentioned (description string for Steam workshop items) is not for Photon room properties. Use a separate external web service for that.

Not sure if this means the list itself, or both the list and its contents.
    Both. Do not use a big number of properties and do not use big sized keys or values.
  • Thanks for the answer @JohnTube !

I suppose I'll have each user separately query the Steam UGC API as needed.