Unreal Particle Demo empty sdk folders

Hi, I've been trying to follow the documentation for the particle demo. When I download the Unreal SDK there are no .cpp or header files in PhotonDemoParticle-UE4\Source\Photon\Common-cpp\inc
I dont know if I'm being silly and maybe downloading the wrong files.

In step 2. "Download the Photon SDK for your targeted Platform: iOS, Android (NDK), Windows, Mac OS X"
I chose Unreal engine and c++ and get the particle demo.

I dont know if I'm being silly and maybe downloading the wrong files. Should I be also downloading the Realtime Windows SDK also?

Comments

• Hi @Digital_Nomad.

With 'platform' that doc doesn't mean "game engine", but "platform" as in "platforms that are supported by both, UE4 and Photon are Windows, OS X, Android NDK, iOS, PS4, XB One and Nintendo Switch".

This should be clear from the sentence "In detail the multiplayer SDKs you can gear up with the UNREAL ENGINE SDK are" at the beginning and from the combination of points 2) and 3) of the "Getting Started" paragraph making no sense otherwise.

UE4 does not require any special Photon Client SDK, but works just fine with the normal Photon C++ Client SDKs.

PhotonDemoParticle-UE4 is just what its name is saying: a demo project and not an SDK. It's main purpose is to demonstrate how to setup an Unreal project to have it use the Photon libraries.

Should I be also downloading the Realtime Windows SDK also?

You should download the C++ Client SDKs for all platforms that you want to support. However for a start just the one for your primary development platform (which will either be Windows or OS X depending on what OS you are developing on) is fine. You can add the SDKs for additional platforms at any later point of your choice during development of your game.
    However it is strongly recommended that the first 3 numbers of the SDK version match between the used SDKs for all platforms. So you should probably update the SDKs for the existing platforms to the latest available version when adding a new SDK after some time.
  • @Kaiserludi Thanks Kaiserludi
  • Hello, I've downloaded the sdk for android and attached it to the demo project because I just want to build for android. But when I try to build from Visual Studio, I always get this Error:
    Error LNK1181 cannot open input file 'C:\Users\\Documents\Unreal Projects\Photon-Unreal-SDK_DemoParticle-UE4\Source\Photon\lib\Windows\Common-cpp_vc14_release_windows_md_x64.lib' PhotonDemoParticle.

So my question is do I still have to download the windows SDK? seeing that I just want to build for android

• Kaiserludi
    Kaiserludi admin
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Ebube.
    Yes, you still have to do download the Windows SDK as Android builds are done from the Unreal Engine Editor, so you must do an editor build first and the Editor build is a build for the platform on which you develop and run the editor on, so either Windows or OS X.
  • Alright. Thanks for the help. I appreciate
  • Hello... I've been having a little issues. After installing the widows sdk And unpacking, when I try again to build, I get Some errors:

'initializing': cannot convert from 'int' to 'UObject *(__cdecl *const *)(void)' PhotonDemoParticle C:\Users\\Documents\Unreal Projects\Photon-Unreal-SDK_DemoParticle-UE4\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\PhotonDemoParticle\PhotonDemoParticle.init.gen.cpp 27

'initializing': cannot convert from 'nullptr' to 'uint32' PhotonDemoParticle C:\Users\\Documents\Unreal Projects\Photon-Unreal-SDK_DemoParticle-UE4\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\PhotonDemoParticle\PhotonDemoParticle.init.gen.cpp 27

and some other Errors.

What could be the cause?

• Thanks. I finally got it to work after Cleaning and rebuilding the sln.
  • Sorry if I'm asking too Many questions. But after packaging the demo project for android and testing out with my mobile phone, I didnt really understand how the game works, not to talk of the multiplayer feature in it.
    So I'm just asking: Is there a tutorial on Photon that uses an existing unreal template? Maybe an FPS template. SO that I can understand how the game on its own works and note the multiplayer feature that has been attached to it.
    It'll enable me to customize it the way I want to suite any game, thanks. :)
  • Kaiserludi
    Kaiserludi admin
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Ebube.

No, I am not aware of such a tutorial.

I didnt really understand how the game works, not to talk of the multiplayer feature in it.

Which game are you talking about? The demo just shows how to use Photon and purposely is not a full blown game to keep the source code simpler and easier to understand.