Switch from a Relay service to a dedicated Enterprise

Hello,
We are considering to choosing photon PUN to make our multiplayer.
The question are:
-When I use PUN, do I need to write a server separately from the client code and then upload it in photon public cloud?

- Does PUN allows some kind of back-end logic? Maybe with plugins? Or I am forced to use the enterprise cloud? if yes what is the cost? it's bad I can't have a sort of idea of the costs.

- I know that PUN scales well in case of many users. But let's say that the games becomes popular and i need an authoritative control check on the servers. I would like to make the least effort to switch from a relay to an authoritative solution. I don't want to code more and how the transition will happen? how the traffic will be moved to the enterprise cloud seamlessly? let's say tomorrow I decide to go for the authoritative architecture, I don't want to lose my player or stop them playing. How can I do the transition?

- Maybe should I start immediately with the enterprise solution? but again at which costs? I like that free CCU plan for PUN so if I start paying only when I have many clients! does the enterprise cloud ave a similar price plan?

Thank you!

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SShark,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

-When I use PUN, do I need to write a server separately from the client code and then upload it in photon public cloud?
    No. By default PUN's approach is to rely on a pseudo-authoritative logic where a master client does special tasks. If you want authoritative server logic, we recommend plugins.
    - Does PUN allows some kind of back-end logic? Maybe with plugins? Or I am forced to use the enterprise cloud? if yes what is the cost? it's bad I can't have a sort of idea of the costs.
    Yes plugins allow server-side logic. Plugins can be used with self-hosted Photon Server or Enterprise Cloud. You can ask about costs on developer@photonengine.com.
    - I know that PUN scales well in case of many users. But let's say that the games becomes popular and i need an authoritative control check on the servers. I would like to make the least effort to switch from a relay to an authoritative solution. I don't want to code more and how the transition will happen? how the traffic will be moved to the enterprise cloud seamlessly? let's say tomorrow I decide to go for the authoritative architecture, I don't want to lose my player or stop them playing. How can I do the transition?
    Traffic routing is doable, you won't lose your players. These are premature concerns or questions in my opinion. However, you can still ask them on developer@photonengine.com. Success won't happen overnight, most customers have previsions and estimations. Also, the server-side code can't be implemented, tested and deployed in a day.
    - Maybe should I start immediately with the enterprise solution? but again at which costs? I like that free CCU plan for PUN so if I start paying only when I have many clients! does the enterprise cloud ave a similar price plan?
    Who doesn't like free stuff :) You can send all your Enterprise related questions to developer@photonengine.com.
  • why don't you reply in public forum instead?

Also, we want to code once ! what is the best procedure?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    why don't you reply in public forum instead?
    details about Enterprise pricing needs to be discussed over emails or calls.
    Also, we want to code once ! what is the best procedure?
    plugins allow you to code server code once. first try them locally using self-hosted Photon Server then deploy them to your private cloud. is that what you mean? if you mean that you don't want to add any code after publishing the game then this is not realistic.
  • I still have these doubts:

-I read Realtime which apparently has the same costs of PUN.
    -But as far as I understand, in order to use realtime + Plugins do I need to pay the enterprise cloud?
    -Is it possible to use the plugins in the free version of PUN or realtime? ( the one in public cloud)
    -or it is necessary to pay for the enterprise cloud?

If I Use PUN then I can't add plugins to it? I need to revert to realtime?

Thank you!
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SShark,

-I read Realtime which apparently has the same costs of PUN.
    PUN and Photon Realtime have the same costs yes.
    -But as far as I understand, in order to use realtime + Plugins do I need to pay the enterprise cloud?
    -Is it possible to use the plugins in the free version of PUN or realtime? ( the one in public cloud)
    Yes or you can self-host Photon Server and use plugins for free (pay only server(s) license(s)).
    If I Use PUN then I can't add plugins to it? I need to revert to realtime?
    PUN is a special Photon Realtime client SDK for Unity. Read "PUN vs. Realtime".
  • -Can plugin be used with PUN?

-If Plugins are Used with PUN o Realtime, I need either enterprise cloud or self host. NO possible with public cloud?

Thirdly,
    20 CCU means
    20 users that are making a call at the same time, or 20 users connected to a room?
    OPTION 1
    I mean with 20 CCU means that once i create several rooms, reaching the 8000 MAU this means that probably there will be 20 users making a concurrent call,

- OR
    OPTION 2
    Means that I can create only a room with 20 players connected or 2 rooms with 10 player connected each?
    In this case I dont understand that conversion to 8000 MAU... it wouldn't make any sense since only 20 people are allowed to play in a room simultaneously. They would be just 20. not 8000.

Finally,

Can realtime be used with public cloud like PUN ?
    So I could start use the free version of realtime and if one day I need an authoritative solution I could just integrate a plugin and switch to enterprise cloud.

THANKS, BEST REGARDS
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you stop asking the same questions on the forum and via email at the same time?
    -Can plugin be used with PUN?
    Yes.
    -If Plugins are Used with PUN o Realtime, I need either enterprise cloud or self host. NO possible with public cloud?
    Yes.
    Can realtime be used with public cloud like PUN ?
    Yes.

Thirdly,
    20 CCU means
    20 users that are making a call at the same time, or 20 users connected to a room?
    20 users connected to Photon Servers at the same time. Can be joined to rooms or not.

I think you have misunderstood what MAU means.
    I can't help you with that.
  • Sorry,
    well I thought might be useful to other people as well.

About "-If Plugins are Used with PUN o Realtime, I need either enterprise cloud or self host. NO possible with public cloud?" Yes what? Yes is no possible with public cloud or Yes is possible with public cloud?

"20 users connected to Photon Servers at the same time."
    This then means when they call the method PhotonNetwork.Connect() the CCU increase by one and stays there until they disconnect (which means for all the match) ? Am i correct?

"I think you have misunderstood what MAU means."
    Monthly active users is the estimation of how many unique players play my game per month.
    I understand this. I don't understand How you says that 20 CCU translates into 8000 MAU, since if I have a group of 20 friends playing in the afternoon at my game, this doesn't mean I have 8000 MAU but just 20 MAU, that are my friends. Could you elaborate more on this?

Thank you,
    Bet regards
  • Anyone?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes what? Yes is no possible with public cloud or Yes is possible with public cloud?
    You can't use plugins on the public cloud.
    This then means when they call the method PhotonNetwork.Connect() the CCU increase by one and stays there until they disconnect (which means for all the match) ? Am i correct?
    Yes.
    Could you elaborate more on this?
    our rule of thumb of estimating DAU and MAU out of CCU is based on the experience of customers that have successful live games:
    MAU = 20 * DAU
    DAU = 20 * CCU
    it's still an estimation.
    You can totally ignore it.
  • The formula does not work for very low CCUs and test scenarios (with 20 players max once) but for games that regular players can play. To get 100 CCUs in the busy times of a day, you need approximately 2000 DAU and to reach the 100 CCU "busy times" more or less for a full month, you need about 40k MAU.
  • To get your feet wet, you can always start with using headless servers that connect to photon cloud in a manner similar to other clients. Have them host the rooms so that they are the master client and then put your workload on them. This has limitation and may not be ideal in the long term, but it allows you to share a code base for the most part and have a server authoritative environment.