ambitious, yes, MMO, no

Options
Hey guys, yes ive been askings the most obvious questions, and im on a rampage... but since it's still legal, and free to ask questions i shall.. im aware a lot of the questions are obvious to you guys but it may not be to me or other people, so here goes a bunch of questions!

I'm not interested in MMO's, basically a 5-10 player a room Game,

1) How do i go about sending all of a objects data, like a player, do i attach a PhotonView? then what??

2) How do i then limit the information to only players within 100 units of another player??

3) What are the unobvious cons of Photon?, what if one day one of you guys were so good at making online games, would it be possible to make a 1000 player a server game?, like is that possible, i know i'm light years away from that kind of knowledge but tell, we want to know?

4) Is it rude to ask questions on the Unity Answers instead of here?

thanks alot for taking time out to help people who are knowledge(lly) disadvantaged

(adding more tonight)

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    I'm not interested in MMO's, basically a 5-10 player a room Game
    You're on a good path, understanding that this is not MMO, even if you have a lot of players. Thanks for not mixing that up :lol:

1. Read the documentation ;)
    It might be lacking but it's better than a hasty reply by me now. Each player should have one PhotonView and then you could use OnSerialize(), as described in the doc.

2. You would have to add a server logic for that. Make it understand "units" and check distance when creating a set of receivers within handling of RaiseEvent.
    As you talk about PhotonView: This won't be as easy, sadly. We didn't implement Vector3 on the server side and don't check content of what the peers send around. It's not easily explained but for 5..10 players you might get away with sending to everyone.

3. It's possible, sure. Maybe you wouldn't use a high level framework like Photon Unity Networking but the lower level API (which is used by PUN).

4. Rude? No. But we're not as active here as there, so try your luck.
    knowledge(lly) disadvantaged
    :lol:
  • Boris
    Options
    shiftyknt wrote:
    2) How do i then limit the information to only players within 100 units of another player??
    If there are only 5-10 players in a room it might be good enough to just send everything to everyone, even if they are further away. You can also check-out the MMO demo, it does not support rooms and a lobby out of the box, but it has the distance based interest management.
  • I dont know how to quote... so im just gonna copy and paste

""""1. Read the documentation
    It might be lacking but it's better than a hasty reply by me now. Each player should have one PhotonView and then you could use OnSerialize(), as described in the doc."""""

^ I would take that lightly if, i didnt read the documentation now over and over 20+ times!!! maybe i dont understand the documentation bcos its really overwhelming, but at the moment to me, the documentation just pretty much says 1 + 1 = 3, but ill have a lot at that onSerilize thing and see what that means... i dont know about you guys but this is exciting stuff

my cousins name was boris...

anyway, about 2 years ago i used to have a runescape private server, my upload speed at the moment is about 30kbs, my download speed is 600kbs, back then it was worse... i was running about 250 players at a time, all killing each other and the server was fine, only with a slight lag, the conclusion is, wow... it must have a lot to do with how handle your networking...

(in a couple of weeks im moving to a new place, with fibre optic :P how exciting 1gbits/s)
  • dreamora
    Options
    runescape learned and 'used' a lot of uo tricks which could run servers with 256+ ccus on a 4mbit up down line easily with worlds as massive as WoW and thousands of mobs.
    its not just about how networking was used but also and especially how the spatial tree works which the MMO example does widely for you, but in addition these games use grids with subgrids for the position calculation etc, they don't send a vector3, they send 2-3 basically and primarily the target position for movement clicks not the current one as 3d mmos have to do. guild wars benefits partially from this too due to the 2d environment (you can't move freely in the height) and the click movement oriented game.